Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Sunday, December 23, 2007

To would-be Christmas punsters:

Yes, we get it. Santa says "Ho, ho, ho."

Sounds like the now rather old slang alteration of "whore," the etymology of which Merriam-Webster traces back to the early years of the Johnson administration.

And I thought that this was kind of funny, when I first heard it. After all, I was twelve years old.

But now, almost a quarter century later... not so much. Dunno if it lost its luster from the overtelling over time, or if, like so many things that twelve-year-olds find funny, it never was funny in the first place.

Tell you what: let's just put it on the back burner for a decade or two, and see if it's still funny later. Then you can whistle appreciatively and hiss "Classic!"

And won't that be fun?

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At Monday, December 24, 2007 1:19:00 PM, Blogger Roberta X said...

I believe a Mr. Cab Calloway first put the term on record when he sang "Hidey-hidey-hidey ho" considerably prior to Mr. Johnson's ascendacy to the office of Chief Executive.

--Unless you'd prefer to continue thinking the lyrics were "nonsense words," as the Johnsons of this world were so straight-facedly assured?

"...Merriam-Webster..." Amateurs!

 
At Monday, December 24, 2007 1:53:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

Well, I have neither the first (1938) or second (1943) editions to Mr. Calloway's "Hepster's Guide", but I'm pretty sure he didn't define "Ho" as such, and I think he would've.

Hell, the song's about illicit drug use, anyway, why not take whole-hawg ownership?

 
At Tuesday, December 25, 2007 9:24:00 AM, Blogger FarmGirl said...

The funniest instance of that pun since I was a kid, for me, has been R.K. Milholland's merchandise from last Christmas.

It was a good enough spin that it made me giggle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.