Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Monday, December 24, 2007

Deep night maunderings.

It's cold and dry and getting colder. Not a breath of wind, and the sky is not just devoid of clouds-- it appears devoid of even air. The full moon illuminates the landscape, but the air refracts so little that the stars appear in strong relief against the black sky behind them.

The porch lights of the houses out on the prairie seem each to be more significant, and promise that humanity and warmth are inside there. You can see the discrete points from a long way off, tonight.

Parked in the dark, by the road, with my lights out, I've watched cats and a ringtail from the creek scurry cross the silvered blacktop, just by light of the moon. I could easily patrol all night with my lights off, so well do my eyes gather the moon and starlight.

It's now Christmas eve.

I love it when it's like this.

I hope y'all find what you're looking for, this Christmas. And if you don't, I hope that you'll find hope and courage in the symbolic reset of the coming new year.

For the first time in my life, I don't think I want anything this Christmas. I'm married to the woman I love. I have two girls that I would love even if they weren't beautiful and smart and funny and cooler than I ever was. I have a family I love and get to see, and I have a snug place to hang my hat and lay my head. I have a job that pays the bills and feels rewarding.

I have dreams. I have aspirations. Hell, I even have gripes and find shortcomings. And of course I have yearnings for specific items.

But I think that, if I stop and think about it, I'm pretty happy. That doesn't mean inert and idle. But it means that I'm ahead of where I've been at many, many points in my life. You ever met a person who didn't know how to take a compliment? Tell them that they look nice in an outfit or with their hair just so, and they'll argue with you. I think that I, and a lot of other folk, lose track of how to see when they're happy, and accept that we are.

Labels: , , , , ,

16 Comments:

At Monday, December 24, 2007 1:37:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt, when stationed at Minot North Dakota (Cold? Ya wanna know COLD?!!) I had a guy tell me the cure for a frozen action was a few hand warmers, Saran Wrap, and an Ace bandage. I never tried it, but he was a farmer and a hunter, so I figured it was worth remembering just in case.

 
At Monday, December 24, 2007 1:58:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, geez. Just how far off target can one be when 2 system scanners are running, the CPU is groaning, and the scroll wheel on the mouse goes beserk? Well, about three posts, I believe...

Sorry 'bout that.

And Merry Christmas, Matt. Glad you and the many others are keeping watch while most of us are comfy.

 
At Monday, December 24, 2007 4:35:00 AM, Blogger KD5NRH said...

"I don't think I want anything this Christmas."

Hope you told your wife that so she could return the Kimber.

:P

 
At Monday, December 24, 2007 6:57:00 AM, Blogger JD said...

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and all that stuff to you and yours. . .. Thanks for a great blog I can read every day!

 
At Monday, December 24, 2007 10:36:00 AM, Blogger Carteach said...

Well said..... and thoughtful.

Thanks for that..

 
At Monday, December 24, 2007 12:39:00 PM, Blogger J.R.Shirley said...

Peace and love, brother.

 
At Monday, December 24, 2007 1:12:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

The way I look at it, I'm looking down at the daisys, not up at em...

LE, like the military requires a health dose of reality to get through each day. Also, both have hours of boredom (reflection) and moments of terror and full on adrenal rushes.

I always liked the early morning hours because it was pretty much dead quiet, and at least the little piece of the world I was looking at was peaceful.

 
At Monday, December 24, 2007 9:56:00 PM, Blogger muse said...

It is peaceful at my place this evening too, just as you described.

Excellent observation...I think many people send themselves so many wants and desires that of course they are going to be disappointed and discouraged when things don't come to pass in their timeframe.

It is always a good idea to count your blessings and gifts and find hope that there are more to come.

Have a wonderful holiday season with your loved ones.

 
At Tuesday, December 25, 2007 5:28:00 AM, Blogger Farmmom said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family Matt.
Here's hoping you are blessed with loving family, good friends, and a full tummy.

 
At Tuesday, December 25, 2007 6:54:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and happy new year Matt. May 2008 be peaceful and prosperous for you and yours.

Keith

 
At Tuesday, December 25, 2007 12:09:00 PM, Blogger Ambulance Driver said...

Merry Christmas to your and yours, my friend.

 
At Tuesday, December 25, 2007 1:18:00 PM, Blogger calvin ray and bubba said...

found ya

 
At Wednesday, December 26, 2007 6:44:00 AM, Blogger Tam said...

I hope that Christmas at the MattG household was as merry as you deserve, which is to say Very Merry, Indeed.

 
At Wednesday, December 26, 2007 4:02:00 PM, Blogger CrankyProf said...

Happy Christmas to you and yours, Matthew!

 
At Wednesday, December 26, 2007 4:28:00 PM, Blogger Johnny Virgil said...

Merry Christmas!

 
At Wednesday, December 26, 2007 5:58:00 PM, Blogger phlegmfatale said...

Lovely post. I hope your Christmas was warm and very merry!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.