Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Insulted.

I work hard.

I am degreed, and am working on a graduate degree at an accreditated university.

I pay my bills, take out the trash, play with my kids, and don't smack around my wife.

But I work evenings and deep nights, which means that when I have a minute to watch TV, it's either late at night, or mid-day.

Have you SEEN the crap that they broadcast during those times?

Daytime is what it's always been: Soap operas and game shows broken up by commercials for backpain clinics, lawyers who'll fight tough, and technical schools that'll certify you to fix diesel engines (with no background checks). I decided back when I was sick one time at age 8 that this crap was not for me.

Late at night, you get the same commercials, but they're tacked onto creepy shows like “Cheaters” and “Elimidate.” It’s crap. It’s insulting. Apparently, if you're watching the telly at that time (not prime time), you're of a lesser caste. You not only deserve less than the A List-- you deserve a list below Fit For Human Consumption.

No, I don’t have cable. I don’t have satellite. See, back when, people used to use something called an “aerial” to pull in signals from the sky. Crazy, huh? That’s what I do. Like Grizzly Adams, but with less buckskin.

Now, damn it, I know that there’s some decent stuff broadcast out there. And I’m not an erudite, greater-than-thou jerk who’ll try to tell you “well, I NEVER watch television.” But I’ll be damned if I’m going to waste a second on the crap available to me at this point.

I need to get a DVR.

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, January 24, 2007 11:40:00 AM, Blogger HollyB said...

Even PBS is running drek in the middle of the night? I know in the middle of the afternoon it's children's programming, but at night it's usually something interesting.
I want to get a DVR, or Tivo b/c with Cable and having recently gotten addicted to "24" there are several programs on at the same time and I HATE having to choose which one to watch and which one to miss and hope to catch in re-runs.
Let me know if you find a good price.

 
At Wednesday, January 24, 2007 12:00:00 PM, Blogger Mr. Fixit said...

The satalite will only give you more choices of the same type crap.

 
At Wednesday, January 24, 2007 12:25:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

Holly, sometimes PBS might have something decent on, or sometimes not. Typically it's some kind of BBC stuff that I might like (Fawlty Towers, Are You Being Served, Waiting For Death) or I might not (Dr. Who, Absolutely Fabulous, The Young Ones, World News). Then also, they show "Tavis Smiley," who, while bright, does nothing for me, and makes me feel a little backlash. (Why do we need to subsidize a show that only shows world events and news from one race's viewpoint? Explain the benefit.)

 
At Wednesday, January 31, 2007 4:50:00 AM, Blogger kateykakes said...

I've been home on a work related injury for several months now and I feel your pain about day time tv.

I don't generally watch a lot of television to begin with, but I do have cable and that helps. I enjoy The History Channel, Discovery Channel and The Learning Channel, but my fave is Court TV.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.