Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Word to be banned.

Mug (v.)

As in, "Oh, he was just mugged."

Mugging (n.)

As in, "We haven't had a mugging in months."


It sounds so fuzzy, so friendly. Kind of adventurous. Allegedly, citizens of some major urban areas don't consider themselves to be fully christened as truly metropolitan until they've "been mugged for the first time."

Bollocks.

The term, friends, is "Robbery," and it comes in two flavors: "StrongArm Robbery" and "Aggravated Robbery." In both instances, force is either used or threatened, to illegally deprive a person of their property. In the latter, the use or threat of the use of deadly force is employed. In Aggravated Robbery, the victim faces the threat of death or serious bodily injury. Robbery. Not "mugging." Rob. Ber. Ry.

How cute!

Sure, the term is misused. It's common for a person to come home, find their house has been broken into and their stuff has been taken, with the burglars long gone, and to exclaim, "I've been robbed!" Incorrect. You've been burgled. And while having your residence invaded in your absence by a stranger feels incredibly invasive, it ain't nothin' like having that stranger walk up to you, point a weapon in your face, and make clear that he is going to kill your mother's child if you don't provide them with whatever valuables you happen to have around you. Typically, your life just got threatend for less than $100.

I cannot make clear how furious this makes me. Someone is willing to threaten life and limb over... a few bucks.

So let's have no more of this familiarity with a term that reduces the impact of this crime of violence. ("But no one was hurt. It must have been very exciting.") There is no excuse for threatening a person over possessions. There is surely no excuse for harming a person over possessions.

And if the victim is killed while the robber is doing his filthy deed, let that victim's death be lamented with just as much disgust and anger and outcry as a person killed in a "hate crime." Because in either case, someone made a decision that another person's life just wasn't that important. Either motive is equally despicable.

But robbery is more common, so we have to familiarize it.

Please. Don't fall for this. Banish the verb "mug" from your vocabulary, with the exception of tea recepticles and posing for pictures.

And if you find yourself a victim to a robbery, by all means please try to get the business over with, without bloodshed. But don't be afraid-- be FURIOUS.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At Sunday, January 14, 2007 11:26:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do you think I carry?

I have a very loooong temper, but when I get mad (finally), although I tend to respond quickly, it does seem to take me awhile to get over my initial 'mad'. I'm sure my temperament comes from my grandfather in that respect.

Regards,
Rabbit.

 
At Sunday, January 14, 2007 11:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feh. I got too quick on the 'post' button.

What I mean is, I get over it, but I don't forget why I got mad anytime soon.

Regards,
Rabbit.

 
At Monday, January 15, 2007 2:19:00 AM, Blogger Ambulance Driver said...

Three ways to respond to the mugger. I'm sure you've already seen this - It's an oldie but a goodie.

http://www.tiny.cc/ZQnhq

You can draw your own conclusions about which group I belong to. ;)

 
At Monday, January 15, 2007 2:52:00 PM, Blogger Diamond Mair said...

Many moons ago, in southern Virginia, I was a ................... "victim" .................... of robbery - I'd just cashed my paycheck & purchased money orders for rent, utilities, etc. I stopped at a pay phone, to check on a friend who was in the hospital to undergo some GI procedure - while on the phone, I felt a 'push' @ my right shoulder - thought it was someone I knew, goofing around - then my purse is hightailing it across the main {4-lane} drag in town - I dropped the phone & took off after him ..................... did NOT run into the traffic - ran back, called 911 - dispatcher sent a SWAT-attired cop to take my statement - while he's taking my statement, call comes out that "someone" had just been apprehended - he took me over to where 'my' critter was up against a cop car ................... found where the critter had dumped what he considered 'excess' from my purse - I ID'd him {he was wearing rather distinctive shorts, had ditched his t-shirt} - we all went back to the station - critter claimed he was bringing my belongings back to me - ye-eah, ri-i-ight!
Cops asked for my statement again - gave it - by virtue of his pushing my shoulder, the critter had upped the count to 'assault' - cops asked if I was willing to press charges - not only yes, but HE## yes!
Of course, my middle class, Catholic guilt struck the next day ................... I asked co-workers who are black {as is the critter} if I was being ................ "racist" ...................... my co-workers assured me I was not - they were outraged on my behalf at his theft ..................
Had a bunch of friends ask me "What were you thinking, taking off after him? He could have pulled a
gun -
knife -
whatever"
At the point where I ran after him, I was just so filled with rage, at the sense of violation, that I didn't care ................... since then, I don't envy cops, with 'downtime' interspersed with adrenaline rushes {took me about 48 hours to calm down after that rush ................... ;-) }

 
At Tuesday, January 16, 2007 2:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"And if the victim is killed while the robber is doing his filthy deed, let that victim's death be lamented with just as much disgust and anger and outcry as a person killed in a "hate crime." Because in either case, someone made a decision that another person's life just wasn't that important. Either motive is equally despicable."

If they choose to decide that my few possessions are worth risking someone's life then I will make the choice as to who's life is at risk.

And while it may well be mine, it will not be mine alone.

 
At Tuesday, October 27, 2009 11:48:00 PM, Anonymous jimbob86 said...

"But don't be afraid-- be FURIOUS."

EXACTLY.

Put up with it, and there will be more of the same. DO no, and here will not.

 
At Tuesday, October 27, 2009 11:49:00 PM, Anonymous jimbob86 said...

"But don't be afraid-- be FURIOUS."

EXACTLY.

Put up with it, and there will be more of the same. DO no, and here will not.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.