Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

"When's the show going to start?"

In October of 1989, I went to see the Rolling Stones at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. At the time, I thought that I had better see them while I could, because they were so old, they might quit making music any day now. Heh. What did I know?

We had been caught in very heavy traffic getting there, and arrived about 45 minutes late. That turned out to be just fine, because the guys opening for them were just wrapping up their set with their biggest hit. They ran a little long with their guitar solos, and the repetition of the title line of the song, stretching their last piece to about 9 or 10 minutes. My best friend and I rolled our eyes a little, waiting to see Mick, Keith, and the rest do that voodoo that they do so well.

The rest of the 60k+ crowd lit up. A pair of lesbians near us made out. For country boys from the sticks, this was a bigger spectacle than a goat-ropin' at the county fair, to be sure.

When Living Colour left the stage, we were mighty pleased. And with good reason. The Stones put on the best show I've ever seen, before or since. A friend said, "Mick could have had every person in that stadium, woman or man."

Well. I don't know about that. But the show was awesome, and I still have the T-shirt.

But it's kind of a shame that I didn't get how telling the lyrics to Living Colour's biggest hit song were. Because frankly, it could be our current President's theme music.



Neon lights, a Nobel prize
When the mirror speaks, the reflection lies
You won't have to follow me
Only you can set me free.
I sell the things you need to be.
I'm the smiling face on your TV.
I'm the cult of personality.
I exploit you, still you love me.
I tell you one and one makes three. I'm the cult of personality.

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

At Thursday, January 28, 2010 4:29:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Now that is interesting... I'm currently in Sydney, AUS and the video is BLOCKED!!!

 
At Thursday, January 28, 2010 5:04:00 PM, Blogger Backyard Fresh Foods, LLC said...

Yep. Great song too.

 
At Thursday, January 28, 2010 7:03:00 PM, Blogger zdogk9 said...

I saw them in '72 in Seattle, Stevie Wonder opened.
The Stones opened with "Midnight Rambler", and it just got better from there. The BEST Rock & Roll concert I've been to.

 
At Thursday, January 28, 2010 7:49:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

But, Bob, did they have 40 foot tall inflatable women pop up during "Honkey Tonk Women"? And was the fireworks show that followed the concert the single best fireworks show you'd ever seen? I've got to say-- we had seats about 90 yards back from the stage, but had a complete BLAST. I'd see 'em again in a second.

 
At Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:41:00 PM, Blogger Don said...

Man, I loved Living Colour.

Rolling Stones? Uh . . . better than the Beatles.

 
At Friday, January 29, 2010 7:24:00 AM, Blogger Tam said...

About the time Living Color had their fifteen minutes, I was dating a bassist that looked just like their lead singer. And the poor guy could not go ten minutes at the mall without someone informing him of this fact.

 
At Friday, January 29, 2010 9:01:00 AM, Anonymous aczarnowski said...

I was sad to see Living Colour fade away, though I've seen some signs of life from the group recently.

There was a lot of good stuff in the deeper album tracks and Biscuits is a great EP.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.