Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Getting a bit silly, aren't we?



I've been looking at getting a set of the superb LG-405 Crimson Trace laser grips for my M37. These are the short "boot grips" that are compact enough for concealed carry. I've handled them on several J-frame revolvers, and have found them to be a useful addition to a very useful, yet hard-to-use, Always Gun.

The price on the LG-405 (or LG405, it's listed both ways), however, refuses to come down like it's slightly larger sibling, the LG305, has. The 405 is not found for less than $235, while the 305 can be had for about $170. So I save up my pennies, and wait.

What's funny, though, is that Crimson Trace ships the laser stocks with warning stickers (note page 4) that they expect you to put on your firearm once you've mounted the sights.

The stickers are most amusing. One declares compliance with a standard of radiation. The other, meant to be mounted on the firearm in front of the laser aperture, has an arrow pointing back, and reads: "AVOID EXPOSURE. LASER RADIATION EMITTED FROM THIS APERTURE."

Why are these stickers so amusing? Because, as the lasers are actually pistol sights, the only way that you could receive radiation from them would be to view the frickin' laser beams from this view:

At which point, you have more pressing concerns.

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

At Tuesday, January 26, 2010 1:57:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Matt, you know as well as I that it is ALL about product liability... sigh... Next thing will be warning labels on guns that say the same thing. :-(

I'd bet if you had to shoot someone, and didn't have the labels, you'd probably get sued for THAT....

##&())@ lawyers...

 
At Tuesday, January 26, 2010 6:19:00 PM, Blogger Rabbit said...

Is gun! Is not safe!

Sorry, my inner Russki D.I. came out.

I've procrastinated buying a set of 405's for years, waiting for that 'good deal'. I've got a 36 that is crying for them. I saw the ones Peter bought at Market Hall and should have gone the next day to get a set.

Regards,
Rabbit.

 
At Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:00:00 AM, Blogger Tam said...

Yeah, the Federally Mandated Laser Warning Stickers on guns are funny.

The ones on CD players are funnier, as I'm not sure how they think you're going to get your head in there with the CDs.

 
At Wednesday, January 27, 2010 2:23:00 PM, Blogger Just My 2ยข said...

Warning! Do not look at laser with remaining eye!

 
At Wednesday, January 27, 2010 3:42:00 PM, Blogger John B said...

My first laser sight was a uniphase laser strapped to the side of a Winchester 94. 1987 and totally not fair to the Elk. 1988 Fish & Wildlife banned laser sights for hunting.

Well we had our fun. filled our tags. Nex year I really had to work for my venison. A laser, even indifferently used, will increase your effective range 3 to 5 times.

 
At Wednesday, January 27, 2010 4:08:00 PM, Blogger Jay G said...

Matt, y'all gotta start reading me more often - I covered this more than a month ago...

 
At Thursday, February 18, 2010 10:29:00 AM, Anonymous threadbndr said...

I have the factory installed laser sights on my .38 snubby S&W.

<3 the red dot.

And whoever took that photo? The ghost of Col Cooper is haunting them, shaking his head.......

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.