Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Sunday, April 20, 2008

We don't watch a lot of sports in my house.

"Who's that?" my wife asked as I finished my coffee in front of a television screen depicting a dark-haired woman crying.

"Danica Patrick," I said. "She races Indy cars, and just proved that she's not Anna Kournikova."

"Because she won, even though she's a hot chick?" my wife inquired, watching the screen. Well, at least that part was obvious.

"Yeah, and even though both of them have posed for the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. It's too bad she'd crying, though; it's bad for the image. But then again, I'll bet a lot of guys cried the first time they won an Indy race. Turns out, though, that it's not only the first big race she's won, but it's the first Indy race that a woman has won."

"So she caught some flack for posing in swimsuits?"

"Yeah, people said that she was just trying to get by on her looks. But, hell-- she's marketing herself, and there was a lot of interest in her, and..."

"...And she was the best person on the track today. So she was a young, attractive woman in her 20's --looking as hot as she was ever going to look-- who chose to pose for pictures in a swimsuit?" My wife asked. "Good for her."

"I'm so glad we see things the same way."

I may be paraphrasing some of the above.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At Monday, April 21, 2008 1:27:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some interesting comments regarding this over at Tam's place.

I don't care what she weighs, what color she is, or what sex she is. She is a skilled driver who trained, followed the rules, and won. For me, end of story.

I can do without the crying, however, and I won't follow much coverage after the fact because it will have little to do with the race or with driving, and everything to do with "first woman."

 
At Monday, April 21, 2008 7:53:00 AM, Blogger Tam said...

People who pose for bikini pics cheapen themselves.

Or something.

 
At Monday, April 21, 2008 11:33:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

A straight line if ever there was one.

 
At Wednesday, April 23, 2008 10:57:00 AM, Blogger Not Afraid to Use It said...

I hadn't realized that she had posed in SI. But I am with your wife--good for her. Just goes to show that you can be beautiful and have talent.

Oh, and CRACKING UP about the Kournikova remark.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.