Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Sunday, April 06, 2008

Trout Fishing In America

I've been going to see TFIA play live for about 16 years. I initially bought their kid's album Mine, and while I love their adult stuff (They do a beautiful rendition of "Not Fade Away," for instance) I tend to like just as much their children's stuff.

In an amusing visual display, Keith Grimwood, the high-voiced bassist who used to play with the Houston Symphony, is 5'5", and is dwarfed by his upright basses, while Ezra Idlet, the tenor-voiced guitarist, is 6'9", and tends to like smaller guitars. They tend to share equally the microphone, singing a repertoire of other composers' classics along with their own compositions. They reside in Arkansas, and tour the South regularly

They usually put on a kids' show early in the afternoon, followed by an adult show in the evening. Family men both, it's not uncommon to see their wives and kids dancing in the front row.

They've received some Grammy nominations, and seem content with their enthusiastic grassroots following. Ezra has built an incredible treehouse that was so kewl, the New York Times did a story on it. . Because it's that cool.

Somewhere along the line, some traditions got started with some of their performances. They enjoy puns, and put them in some of their music, like "Pico De Gallo" and "Breakfeast Blues," the latter of which elicits corn tortillas thrown at them by the audience.

I'm not kidding.

Someone here decided to put up a YouTube video with one of their more popular songs, about a favorite topic of mine. Enjoy.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At Sunday, April 06, 2008 4:27:00 PM, Blogger phlegmfatale said...

This has long been one of my favorite songs, and somehow I knew that was where you were heading. I introduced niece and nephew to this music and we howl along. We especially like 18 Wheels on a Big Rig, too. Good stuff!

 
At Sunday, April 06, 2008 6:27:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Neat! The visuals are pretty funny in the you tube too. Thanks!

 
At Monday, April 07, 2008 10:56:00 AM, Blogger Not Afraid to Use It said...

Oh Lord. I think I may have found me a new love. I had not heard this, and I think I am in love. Thanks for sharing!!

 
At Monday, April 07, 2008 6:06:00 PM, Blogger Ambulance Driver said...

You're tagged, boy. Do the meme I saddled you with. *grin*

 
At Monday, April 07, 2008 6:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are locals to me. They put on a free show at Gulley park for free every now and then.

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing them with your readers.

 
At Monday, April 07, 2008 9:36:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

"You're tagged, boy. Do the meme I saddled you with"

Don't joggle my elbow, old son.
I'll get to it when I'm ready.

 
At Monday, April 07, 2008 10:04:00 PM, Blogger g bro said...

Cris (Ezra) graduated just before my 1 year at Lamar High School. Most girls in my group had a major crush on him (dating back to junior high). I saw him in Wheatfield, which became St. Elmo's Fire, after which they founded TFIA. The last time I saw time I sw them was at Riverfest in Little Rock on a Memorial Day weekend. At hat gig, they talked about a recent performance in a prison!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.