Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Test your relationship.

Clean out the refrigerator together.

"You like that? Is it even still good? Then why haven't you eaten it?"

"Why are you putting the refrigerator shelves back
there?"

"I cannot believe I married someone who would even eat that crap fresh, more less..."

[In unison] "Toss it." "Heh. Jinx."

[In unison] "Toss it. Ewww."

"We should make that, sometime."

"House rule: NO MORE Tobasco until these three --no, four-- bottles are used up."

"This is my fourth jar of that spicy mustard. It gets trashed."

We are rather condiment and spice heavy in my house. When you buy a pricey marinade or dry soup base and only use half of it, it gets the lid put on and is shoved into the fridge, in the back of a short shelf. There it resides until the Clean Out. There is nothing wrong with properly refrigerated marinades and sealed dry soup bases remaining in your 'fridge for a long while, but they do tend to take up a lot of room. In our case, the bottom right drawer of the crisper is now designated as the place for those, and the big jar of pre-grated ginger, and the jars of red, yellow, and green thai curry paste, mole, and the like.

I suspect that my already varied diet is about to step up to "circus-like," just as soon as we have vanquished the Giant Ham Of Doom (~25 lbs), and its sidekick, Traditional Black-Eyed Peas With Ham Bone. Oh, and corn bread. Always corn bread.

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At Sunday, December 30, 2007 3:26:00 PM, Blogger Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Dude, I still think the CDC needs to come into my house and run tests on my fridge contents 'cause I KNOW I have cures for cancer, AIDS, and the common cold in there.

I mean, come on, what's wrong with liquefied lettuce, anyway? :-)

 
At Sunday, December 30, 2007 6:00:00 PM, Blogger Snigglefrits said...

Another great relationship tester is hanging pictures- especially if there is at least 7 inches different in the height of those in the relationship.

Picture hanging was the only thing I ever thought my parents might get divorced over. She'd want them hung at eye level, he'd do so- only he is 6' tall and she's 5'2". Then the debate would start over who's eye level they should be hung at.

Congrats on the fridge cleanout though- amazing what can get at the very back of that bottom shelf, isn't it?

 
At Sunday, December 30, 2007 6:33:00 PM, Blogger none said...

I'm a condiment collector too. I've got about 5 jars o differnet mustards and countless hot sauces.

Ever try Cholula?

 
At Sunday, December 30, 2007 11:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is why, whenever we develop a collection, we either start planning dishes around what condiments we have. Or, I will take two or three and combine them into one bottle. Like today we had this honey mustard baked chicken dish that my wife made, but it needed a sauce to dip it in...

So, I look in the fridge, spot the bbq sauce, habenjaro and orange salad dressing, and a fancy yellow mustard we had. So, I combined those three into one of the bottles and blammo, dipping sauce!

 
At Monday, December 31, 2007 3:13:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

Hammer, Cholula is okay on an IHOP omelette, but it tastes too much like liquid chili powder for me to bother buying.

 
At Monday, December 31, 2007 10:48:00 AM, Blogger LauraB said...

Love the "giant ham o' death". The carcass resides in my freezer now for soup making a bit later.

But you do make me think about cleaning out my own...a nice annual tradition...

 
At Monday, December 31, 2007 2:05:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Garbage pickup here is around 0630, so I've found the time to clean out our fridge is around 0530, and ALONE. Nobody sticking whatever under my nose and saying, "What do you think?"

Now, the freezers? Whole 'nuther ballgame. We have two -- one upright and one chest type. I have no idea whats in the bottom of the chest type and don't WANT to know. When the compressor dies in years to come it will all go as a single unit of hazardous waste, refrigerant and contents together. If I'm lucky it will fail shortly after a hurricane.

 
At Wednesday, January 02, 2008 12:23:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

another RULE in our house. One day of the week is leftover day. TWO DAYS if I can't see the snide stickers I put on the back inside wall of the fridge. We average one 36 hour blackout a year, and during that the kitchen fridge gets emptied and the stuff used up. Despite it's greatness in other areas, refrigerator hygiene is not an issue that can be left to a democratic process.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.