Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine.

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Somebody call Ripley's!

I was at the Massive Home Hardware Center today, and happened to pass the key-cutting station. Thinking that I'd not yet gotten spare keys for my new residence, I stopped there and grabbed for my keys, looking wistfully around and wondering how long I was going to have to wait.

A young man 30 yards away instantly looked up, raised his hand in recognition of a customer, and hollered as he hustled over, "Can I help you, sir?"

Weird.

But wait.

This guy actually knew how to man the key-cutter, and asked how many I wanted, and didn't sigh when I asked for three.

I thought about it, and said, "Not to impune your skills, but let's make it four, to give me an extra, just in case."

He smiled and said "I've got a pretty good record on this thing. It's how you set the key in the machine."

No doubt, I thought, thinking back to my time as a locksmith's assistant.

He banged out four keys in about 2 minutes flat, and put them in a bag and wished me a good day.

I got home an hour later, and tried the keys.

All four keys worked in the door flawlessly.

Believe It, Or Not!

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At Thursday, July 19, 2007 2:51:00 AM, Blogger Hammer said...

That has never happened to me.

You are so very fortunate :)

 
At Thursday, July 19, 2007 6:41:00 AM, Blogger MonkeyGirl said...

I'm calling bullsh*t. There's no way all four of those keys worked.

I can't even get one that works.

 
At Thursday, July 19, 2007 8:31:00 AM, Blogger Murphy said...

If that happened to me I would probably lose my last set of car keys.

 
At Thursday, July 19, 2007 8:42:00 AM, Blogger jrshirley said...

Whoah! Like, amazing.

 
At Thursday, July 19, 2007 10:35:00 AM, Blogger knitalot3 said...

Did you call the manager and report him? Wow! That's phenomenal!

 
At Thursday, July 19, 2007 11:24:00 AM, Anonymous Rabbit said...

I'm impressed. Was this Big Orange or Big Blue?

When I moved into Cada Del Extremis last year, I played it safe and had a professional locksmith come out and rekey everything. It had been on the market quite awhile and I had plenty of evidence that a lot of folks had been coming and going before I bought it.

How's the hunt for a new house coming, anyway?

Regards,
Rabbit.

 
At Thursday, July 19, 2007 3:24:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

"Did you call the manager and report him?"

No-- I didn't want to get him fired. (I think I'm joking...)

I'm thinking of writing it up for a short piece in Analog or Asimov's-- they take some stories that are pretty far out there.

Thinking back, I really should have bought a lottery ticket.

Big Blue. The kid said he'd worked there for two years, and had a "Team Leader" label on his nametag. He didn't look old enough to buy a beer. If he were, I might just do so for him.

Rabbit, we're decompressing this week, before looking hard for the house to buy. I just spent the last 20 minutes on the phone getting us telephone/internet/wireless/sat TV, only to find out that the last tenants didn't turn off their dish, so they can't fire up our account until the old one is cancelled. What a pain.

 
At Thursday, July 19, 2007 8:03:00 PM, Blogger SpeakerTweaker said...

I swear, I think that's the first time I've read where someone's blogged about a good experience in capitalism where NOTHING went wrong.

I think you may be one miracle shy of sainthood!



tweaker

 
At Friday, July 20, 2007 4:05:00 AM, Blogger phlegmfatale said...

Wow. Great story of something gone right. Hope remains.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.