Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Somebody call Ripley's!

I was at the Massive Home Hardware Center today, and happened to pass the key-cutting station. Thinking that I'd not yet gotten spare keys for my new residence, I stopped there and grabbed for my keys, looking wistfully around and wondering how long I was going to have to wait.

A young man 30 yards away instantly looked up, raised his hand in recognition of a customer, and hollered as he hustled over, "Can I help you, sir?"

Weird.

But wait.

This guy actually knew how to man the key-cutter, and asked how many I wanted, and didn't sigh when I asked for three.

I thought about it, and said, "Not to impune your skills, but let's make it four, to give me an extra, just in case."

He smiled and said "I've got a pretty good record on this thing. It's how you set the key in the machine."

No doubt, I thought, thinking back to my time as a locksmith's assistant.

He banged out four keys in about 2 minutes flat, and put them in a bag and wished me a good day.

I got home an hour later, and tried the keys.

All four keys worked in the door flawlessly.

Believe It, Or Not!

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At Thursday, July 19, 2007 2:51:00 AM, Blogger none said...

That has never happened to me.

You are so very fortunate :)

 
At Thursday, July 19, 2007 6:41:00 AM, Blogger MonkeyGirl said...

I'm calling bullsh*t. There's no way all four of those keys worked.

I can't even get one that works.

 
At Thursday, July 19, 2007 8:31:00 AM, Blogger Murphy said...

If that happened to me I would probably lose my last set of car keys.

 
At Thursday, July 19, 2007 8:42:00 AM, Blogger J.R.Shirley said...

Whoah! Like, amazing.

 
At Thursday, July 19, 2007 10:35:00 AM, Blogger knitalot3 said...

Did you call the manager and report him? Wow! That's phenomenal!

 
At Thursday, July 19, 2007 11:24:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed. Was this Big Orange or Big Blue?

When I moved into Cada Del Extremis last year, I played it safe and had a professional locksmith come out and rekey everything. It had been on the market quite awhile and I had plenty of evidence that a lot of folks had been coming and going before I bought it.

How's the hunt for a new house coming, anyway?

Regards,
Rabbit.

 
At Thursday, July 19, 2007 3:24:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

"Did you call the manager and report him?"

No-- I didn't want to get him fired. (I think I'm joking...)

I'm thinking of writing it up for a short piece in Analog or Asimov's-- they take some stories that are pretty far out there.

Thinking back, I really should have bought a lottery ticket.

Big Blue. The kid said he'd worked there for two years, and had a "Team Leader" label on his nametag. He didn't look old enough to buy a beer. If he were, I might just do so for him.

Rabbit, we're decompressing this week, before looking hard for the house to buy. I just spent the last 20 minutes on the phone getting us telephone/internet/wireless/sat TV, only to find out that the last tenants didn't turn off their dish, so they can't fire up our account until the old one is cancelled. What a pain.

 
At Thursday, July 19, 2007 8:03:00 PM, Blogger SpeakerTweaker said...

I swear, I think that's the first time I've read where someone's blogged about a good experience in capitalism where NOTHING went wrong.

I think you may be one miracle shy of sainthood!



tweaker

 
At Friday, July 20, 2007 4:05:00 AM, Blogger phlegmfatale said...

Wow. Great story of something gone right. Hope remains.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.