Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Back In The Saddle



It's enjoyable at my new job.

My best cases, I can't now write about. (Ongoing case issues.)

My most pleasureable moments aren't much to write about, really.

Mostly, I've been riding around in my patrol car, and doing a little small-town policing. I've made a lot of personal contacts with the citizens, and we'll have to see what they think of me.

Some people have gone to jail.

Some people have received court summonses.

A lot of peoople have been issued written and/or verbal warnings.

I've written some reports that I'm actually pretty proud of. One of these has included a felony investigation that I'm planning on an arrest in, any day now.

As I took a guy in today for a foreign warrant arrest (nothing more, because I had suggested to the originating officer that we didn't need to charge the kid for the onsite "weapons" charge that he saw), it occured to me: I'm back in the saddle. Today I made the most citizen contacts, good and bad, that I've made since putting the cop job back on.

And, at the end of the day, drinking coffee with my relief at shift change, I felt a distinct feeling of attachment to the community. I felt loyal. Like I had helped it a little. This may be the best (working) day I've had in a year or two, and I didn't even make an arrest (That trip to jail was to book in another officer's arrestee.).

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At Sunday, December 17, 2006 3:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feels good to be back at it, doesn't it?

You'll fit in just fine, I bet.

Regards,
Rabbit.

 
At Monday, December 18, 2006 2:00:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

Rabbit, it feels good to be back at it, but it feels better to be reminded (if only by myself) that I actually do the job pretty well. Today went the same-- I talked to some citizens, I warned some minor traffic violators, and I had a come-to-Jesus meeting with a severely messed-up young man. I trebled the time necessary to deal with him, to explain that he was on the Wrong Path.

Maybe. Just maybe. Maybe my words and my actions will influence him to change his life.

Dad tells how his mom used to say, if you'll just lift that calf over the gate every day for 3 years, soon enough you'll be strong enough to pick up a grown bull.

If I can find one guy like that young man today to influence...

 
At Monday, December 18, 2006 7:12:00 AM, Blogger HollyB said...

I wish I had the words to express how happy it makes me to "hear" you excited and happy about your employment again.
I know I'm supposed to be the ESM, but for today, I'm the ElatedSM

 
At Monday, December 18, 2006 11:55:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

I'm reasonably happy, but not "excited," Holly. Excitement comes from threats of violence, threats of sex, threats of violent sex (whoopee!) threats of lawsuit or threats of marriage.

We all know people who live the kind of exciting lives such that they're excited all the time. Not me.

I did get married once, though...

 
At Tuesday, December 19, 2006 8:54:00 AM, Blogger Pawpaw said...

Welcome back.

Be careful out there.

 
At Tuesday, December 19, 2006 4:01:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's wonderful to hear someone so enthusiastic and positive about their work.

Sounds like you're a great fit in your new department

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.