Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Friday, November 24, 2006

Just Got Tazed Today....

...Got me a pocket full of pain.

(With apologies to ZZ Top.)

After having recieved the training and passed the test, I got hooked up to an X-26 Taser today. When the trigger was pulled, I said, "Ow. That's quite uncomfortable." Because I was in my uniform, and the clip probes were clipped to my uniform over my vest and undershirt, the zap didn't really take. So they were spread from my right shoulder to my left lower left love handle, and the trigger was pulled again. This time I said, "Augghrhaa-aa Ghhaa! Nnngheeha!"

Ow.

It's over. I'm so very glad. That didn't feel good. I wasn't able to move, but was drawn up tight. My jaw clenched. My back drew up. My scalp crawled. My knuckles on my hands drew back toward my wrists. And then it was over.

Folks, this is strong medicine. It may be used for good or for bad. Understand that this is a potentially very, very good tool. I'm 6'5" and over 270 lbs, and I would have been a snap to handcuff and take to jail by a 5'2" 100 lb lady cop. No OC decontamination. No need to visit the ER to check out my wounds from a baton strike. Just take me to jail if you've got the authority. Gawd knows you've got the means. Good, good stuff.

You can bet I'm carrying mine on duty.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At Friday, November 24, 2006 3:23:00 PM, Blogger LawDog said...

Smarts, don't it?

 
At Friday, November 24, 2006 9:26:00 PM, Blogger HollyB said...

OOWwiee, I still remember the pain of getting hit with the stun gun when I went through that training. I understand they aren't as strong as a taser.
What I couldn't understand was why I shocked my partner for such a brief time and he shocked me for such a long time. Turns out it was the same amount of time. Just felt longer being on the receiving end. Ol'Einstein was onto something there wasn't he?
Sorry you had to go through that, Kiddo.

 
At Friday, November 24, 2006 11:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never played with a Taser, and hope that circumstances never develop to a point where I ever do, but a friend of mine who happens to be a former US Marshal, now gunstore robber baron and I were passing around one of the early 'high voltage' stun guns several years ago.

Just as an 'unofficial test', I guess, but more likely out of 'watch this'-ism, I managed to get on the snappy end of it.

I never knew my bladder held that much. The ride home was miserable, but not nearly as miserable as the walk/crawl to the truck across the town square.

Regards,
Rabbit.

 
At Saturday, November 25, 2006 7:56:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

Interestingly, the reason that a TASER (which is actually an acronymn, for Thomas A. Swift's Energy Rifle. No, really.) works better than a stun gun is that the probes are spread so much further. The farther apart the probes get, the more muscles are seized, and more violently.

Oh, I didn't "have" to take a hit, but this falls under the category of "you ain't got a hair on your hindquarters if you don't." I can certainly testify in court that I was aware of the effects of a full hit, and that it was effective at incapacitation without injury, when I popped a citizen with it.

And I'll tell you: I'll take 5-- no, 10 more hits from that X26 again before I'll ever take another 3 second burst in my face of OC pepper spray again. The nice thing about the TASER is that a hit, once over, is over completely.

 
At Sunday, November 26, 2006 4:05:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The nice thing about the TASER is that a hit, once over, is over completely."

But the memory lingers on just in case the perp doesn't want to comply to the LEO's suggestion that they get on the ground. Oh, you are on the ground.

When will they be available to the general public? If you have a CHL why shouldn't you be able to purchase a non-lethal Taser?

 
At Monday, November 27, 2006 12:16:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

They ARE available to the general public. There's an X26 sold to the public for about $1000, complete with training DVD and several extra cartridges. Sounds expensive? Consider the costs of having to use a firearm. Frankly, I'm beginning to consider getting one for the house.

 
At Friday, December 08, 2006 11:05:00 AM, Blogger Memphis said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Friday, December 08, 2006 11:10:00 AM, Blogger Memphis said...

I should read the comments before I type in my own. I originally rambled on about Tom Swift before reading you already mentioning it.

I'm hearing more and more about crooks using stun guns to rob people. And then there was the father-son team that used it to assault the son's former boss after he was fired. They shocked his groin, causing his jaw to clench so tight from the pain that his teeth cracked. I expect we'll be seeing a lot more of this. I hope the law moves to deal with it. I'm thinking a stun gun to the genitals needs to be a separate crime with a tougher sentence, but I doubt our politicians have the balls to do anything about it.

I think I could shell out $1000 for a Taser so long as I can carry it in my truck legally. I'm thinking if someone breaks into my house I'm more likely to reach for a gun, but in a traffic situation where someone just goes ape, as happened to me before, I'd rather have the Taser.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.