Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Out there searching. / Out here fumbling. Out here waiting

The 20 mile per hour wind may be humid, but at least it's cold. 20 degrees Fahrenheit might not seem like much of a chill, but it's enough tonight to flash freeze the ditches full of last night's rain. The mud reflects the diffused light from the cloud deck only 1500 feet above, which in turn is lit by every sparse streetlamp in my little town, along with the fullest, biggest moon of the year, that I can't see. In the doggiest town I've ever known, I've not laid eyes on a single canine all night.

The radio is so quiet that I periodically turn it up, and when someone finally does speak up, it blares annoyingly. I turn it back down, and then go through the same cycle.

I'm the only car on the streets. The occasional rig tending oil wells does trundle through town, and I leave them be.

I'm just looking for that right stop. The guy burgling cars. The drunk side-swiping parked vehicles, while trying to get home. The runaway 14 year old sneaking out to meet her new Internet boyfriend ("...so dreamy. He's 29!") at the street corner. Something to give tonight's patrol some meaning.

It's fruitless, and feels futile.

The goal is to work ourselves out of a job, I guess.

I sure could go for some coffee. But it's getting too close to the end of the shift, and bed time.

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

At Saturday, January 30, 2010 9:11:00 AM, Blogger Pignock said...

It's good to see you're writing again, even if it is out of boredom.

 
At Saturday, January 30, 2010 9:47:00 AM, Blogger MauserMedic said...

I recall many night shifts spent patrolling a town of 2500. After a while it felt like one continual left or right turn around a very slow racetrack. One officer managed to have a slow speed collision into a parked car while doing this, falling asleep due to boredom. Makes for some long nights.

 
At Saturday, January 30, 2010 10:44:00 AM, Blogger The Big Guy said...

My man Cooper (Sgt w/ the FHP) says:
No matter the season or the temp,
if you see someone out on the street between 2:45AM and 5:00AM, they are probably up to no good.
People on the Graveyard shift are working. All the good bartenders, strippers and restaurant folks are finally home, and the business people that need to catch the FFO (First Flight Out) haven't left yet.
Ergo: Anyone else is asking to get stopped and chatted up.
And 95% of the time, there's something fishy.

TBG

 
At Saturday, January 30, 2010 12:14:00 PM, Blogger Pawpaw said...

That took me down memory lane. The late night alone with the job and the cruiser and the occasional headlight. One long stretch of asphalt tying together sleepy towns and the nearest deputy thirty miles away.

Be safe, old friend.

 
At Saturday, January 30, 2010 12:24:00 PM, Blogger Farm.Dad said...

BTDT. You summed up a lot of shifts well there Matt. Then comes the shift that makes you long for some good old fashoned boredom.

 
At Saturday, January 30, 2010 2:48:00 PM, Blogger BangBangMedic said...

I like the cowboy junkies reference.

I'm a big fan of quiet though. If there's nothing going wrong, it's fine by me.

 
At Saturday, January 30, 2010 6:26:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Some times quiet IS good... :-)

 
At Sunday, January 31, 2010 12:34:00 PM, Blogger JPG said...

The worst time period for me was 0300 -- 0500. I worked a suburb of Fort Worth, with no businesses open for three or four miles out of my town. The newspaper carrier in my area would occasionally seek me out and hand me a doughnut for a sugar boost. Finally got him to understand I felt I HAD to pay him for it. I think a glazed cost 30 cents at a Seven-11 back then.

 
At Monday, February 01, 2010 6:52:00 AM, Blogger Tam said...

That was dang near cop poetry, Matt.

 
At Thursday, February 04, 2010 10:04:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're such a good writer.

And boring is good. I like boring. Much better than "Someone tried to stab me today, sweetie!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.