Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Thursday, November 03, 2011

Remember when...?

Remember when real freedom fighters didn't have to throw themselves under the 11" wheels of police scooters moving at 2 mph* to get attention, like a malingering ball player?

Remember how, back in the early-to-mid 1960s, the folks fighting to stop oppression didn't have to invent oppressive acts? They were attacked by police with truncheons, and firehoses, and dogs, and unstopped mobs with bricks.

Remember how they did not whine to get out of going to jail, because they felt that they were doing the right thing by going to jail?

Remember how real protestors for freedom have really risked everything?

Quit blocking the streets. Grown-ups have things to do. Call us when you've got something real. It's not like there's no way to do so.
________________________________
*Seriously, in one video that I saw of one of the Occupy Wall Street incidents, the scooter was moving so slowly that I was impressed that the bike actually could stay upright.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At Thursday, November 03, 2011 5:27:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Good point Matt, thanks for the links!

 
At Friday, November 04, 2011 9:00:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was there during a lot of those 60s protests. I have thought much the same thing, ever since the first arrest and the whine that followed. I never whined about being arrested. I knew I was breaking the law. We were making a point, and we actually HAD a point to make. Clear, unambiguous. I've kept pretty quiet about all this because, frankly, you can't argue with a closed mind. But I'm glad you posted this. It needs to be said. I hope your post gets picked up and linked all over.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.