Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Just stop it.

My mother and I were talking today about the public reaction to the tenth anniversary of September 11, 2001.

And we're appalled.

"Commemoration" isn't such a distant cousin of a word from "Celebration." It would seem that many have forgotten that there actually is a difference, and that those that know it seem to be blurring the lines pretty heavily.

I get that no documentarian worth his salt would fail to comment on the tenth year passing since our nation suffered an attack that had such ramifications. But the goal of those watching, and the goal of those showing the documentaries seems to be a type of entertainment.

Like a horror movie. "Ooh, it gives me shivers to remember where I was when I heard..."

I'm disgusted, and I'm not participating.

You want to wave our flag? Push to bring back most of our troops from the errands we've sent them on. Push to sunset the Patriot Act for good. Push to fire the TSA. Push to strengthen our borders (still as porous as they were 10 years ago, from what I see.).

But don't use some arbitrary tenth anniversary of the death of our countrymen as a day to be entertained. Do something GOOD for your country for a change, would you, please? We've spent the last 3,652 days dismantling it.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At Saturday, September 10, 2011 10:46:00 AM, Blogger Alan said...

I agree 100%.

 
At Saturday, September 10, 2011 11:03:00 AM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Amen Matt... concur! I WILL be flying my flag!

 
At Saturday, September 10, 2011 12:43:00 PM, Blogger Rev. Paul said...

You've very neatly summed up what I think about it, too. Linked on my site.

 
At Sunday, September 11, 2011 7:25:00 AM, Blogger DR said...

I completely agree.

 
At Sunday, September 11, 2011 8:18:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've decided to be angry rather than weepy and maudlin. We were attacked, dang it, not hit by an 'Act of G-d"! Enough of this official federal bureaucratic handwringing and vapidity: either do something about the monsters and their homicidal philosophy or bring folks back, strengthen our own borders, help only those who help us, and quit moaning about "sensibilities."

LittleRed1

 
At Sunday, September 11, 2011 8:59:00 AM, Blogger JPG said...

Insightful and well written.

 
At Sunday, September 11, 2011 12:42:00 PM, Blogger Ken said...

Well said, sir.

 
At Monday, September 12, 2011 8:27:00 AM, Anonymous Art said...

Amen!

 
At Monday, October 10, 2011 12:58:00 PM, Blogger J.R.Shirley said...

Pretty much. I greeted the anniversary somberly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.