Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Regimental gentlemen.

We don't like talking about it. We don't want to think about it.

But here's the thing:
One in six men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer. If I've got 360 male readers of this post, 60 of you will get prostate cancer.

What's worse, about 1 man in 36 will die of prostate cancer. It's the second leading cause of cancer death among men, following only lung cancer.

I say again: 1 in 36 men die of this detectable form of cancer.

But then look at testicular cancer:
1 in 270 men get testicular cancer. But great news: the fatality rate for that form of cancer is falling. Why? Because of early detection and treatment. We can beat it. (Currently only one in 5,000 die of it.) And if we can beat that form of cancer, then we can beat prostate cancer.

The answer to the question "then why don't they...?" is invariably MONEY.

Kick in a bit. I'm not just interested in "raising awareness"-- I want to raise cash for this.

My good friend Ambulance Driver is all in on this one. For the month of September, he's going to dress every day in a fashion that makes it easier for a medical professional to check him for signs of prostate cancer (or testicular cancer, for that matter).
He's wearing a kilt.

Now, I didn't get my own kilt put together quick enough to join in on AD in the Kilted To Kick Cancer campaign, but I wish that I had; he's got some dandies put together. He's wearing them to work. He's wearing them to the store. He's wearing them to the airport where they will likely be probulating him.

That's dedication to the cause.

I want you, gentle reader, to weigh your discomfort at the thought of getting checked, against your discomfort at the thought of someone dear to you suffering from prostate cancer. Statistically, it's going to happen to someone you care about.

Click on my link here, and put in a few bucks. It's quick and easy. The money goes straight to the Prostate Cancer Foundation, without stuff getting siphoned off for "lobbying," or overhead.

You can do this without even having to leave your doctor's office without making eye contact.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At Tuesday, September 06, 2011 1:55:00 PM, Blogger Ambulance Driver said...

Thank you, my homey.

Now y'all get to donating!

 
At Thursday, September 08, 2011 11:39:00 AM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Good points Matt, and we DO need to get onboard!

 
At Friday, September 09, 2011 9:52:00 AM, Blogger JPG said...

I had been thinking that I should have obtained a kilt of some type. On reflection, though, my pale, skinny, old man's legs wouldn't look very good so displayed. Oh, well - - I hit the link and made a modest donation to the cause.

 
At Sunday, September 25, 2011 8:43:00 PM, Blogger Zdogk9 said...

John, you spent an honorable lifetime developing those legs, get a kilt! For Texas summers I'd steer clear of regimental weight tartans though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.