Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

I'm seriously thinking about getting my first tattoo.

The last couple of weeks, a good buddy's in-laws had been just a little too cute, about hiding the Living Will that my buddy's father in-law had written up years ago.

In black and white, it stated that he did NOT want to be put on a respirator. The man had health problems for decades, and knew what he was doing when he signed that document in front of a notary. He then told everyone in his family about it. Still, one of his children who could not deal with it bullied my buddy's mother-in-law into withholding the testiment from his healthcare providers. The advance health care directive was only honored after the other siblings (and my buddy, who was persona non grata for his troubles for a while) raised their collective voices that it be brought forth, just as the doctors were about to put a trachial tube into the poor guy.

The old gentleman passed away, at last, the way he had specified.

This morning, while doing my best to keep up 120 compressions a minute on the chest of a person at whom's side I had arrived just 60 seconds after hearing the call for the ambulance go out, I wondered: how long it had taken the family to call for an ambulance, and how fast was the dispatch? I did the best that I knew how, and passed the patient on to fully-equipped paramedics, and I thought about Ambulance Driver's T-shirt.

How small could I get that, tattooed on my chest, and still have it be legible?

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At Wednesday, July 15, 2009 12:08:00 PM, Blogger Ted said...

Know a guy who had "DNR" tatooed over his sternum after a rugby party one night.

He is now saving up for some laser tatoo removal.

 
At Wednesday, July 15, 2009 2:48:00 PM, Blogger Comrade Misfit said...

Seriously, that's the guideline? Immediate CPR and defib within 60 seconds or you're a zombie?

 
At Wednesday, July 15, 2009 3:06:00 PM, Blogger James said...

As someone who works in the medical field and has seen the horror stories first hand, Having a DNR tattoo sounds like an excellent idea.

 
At Wednesday, July 15, 2009 4:18:00 PM, Blogger Rabbit said...

You didn't want a John Wylie Price?

He's got one that says

"TAKE ME TO PARKLAND".

Pity. He'd be a better recipient of DNR.

Regards,
Rabbit.

 
At Wednesday, July 15, 2009 8:26:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Do what you've gotta do... :-)

 
At Thursday, July 16, 2009 2:14:00 AM, Blogger Strings said...

I'd guess that the "DNR" could be done well enough to be readable, but not problematic. The rest, I'd have to check with my local inkslinger...

 
At Thursday, July 16, 2009 10:09:00 AM, Blogger charlotte g said...

Note to AD--I'd like the T-shirt but in a shade other than grey--like, to give a little contrast to my grey hair.

 
At Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:08:00 AM, Blogger Crucis said...

My usual response to someone talking about tattoos is, "Well, if you're into self-mutilation, go for it. Otherwise, don't."

I could see this as an opposing argument to that response. Maybe.

 
At Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:30:00 AM, Blogger Dan O. said...

The shirt's got it right. They tell you in CPR class, if you don't see 'em drop, and /or CPR isn't started within like 2 minutes, you're abusing a corpse. That's not verbatim, but it is spot on.

I can't stand people who think THEIR
wishes trump those of a loved one. How much do you love someone to disregard their will?

When I was on the FD I occasionally drove squad and DNR's are touchy and confusing. I've seen family members beg us to stop CPR because they swear there's a DNR, but couldn't produce one.

I've also seen a DNR produced without the doctor's signature. No choice but to maintain CPR until a doctor pronounces or a completely signed DNR document is produced.

If you're going the DNR route, make sure it is 100% complete and legal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.