Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Monday, April 28, 2008

Buffalo Bore test

I finally shot some of the Buffalo Bore Heavy .38 +P loads this weekend.

I was doing crime scene reconstruction project (more on that, later) with friend Eric when I decided to shoot some out of the Model 36 (steel frame) Chief 2".

At 10 yards, firing SA, I achieved this group, from standing:Recoil felt like.... well, a heavy +P. Not really like a .357 magnum, as I was expecting. Not bad, actually.

I reloaded, turned to my left, and shot two steel pipes on the far left edge of the target area, DA. I was gratified to see the smaller pipe, which only weighed about 5 lbs and was hit higher up, tumble off the cinder block that they were perched on. You can see the bullet splashes of the soft lead on the steel pipes, circled:

I then went to 5 yards, and put three shots fairly quickly [not quite triple tap (BangBangBang) but faster than just quick fire (Bang. Bang. Bang.) Call it hasty fire, or semi-rapid. (Bang-bang-bang)] into a Shoot-N-See target. Now, 15 feet ain't much for long distance, but keep in mind that I was shooting a 2" J-frame after having already fired 7 rounds of this stuff. So I'm middlin' pleased with the results, from what a lot of people consider a "belly gun." I know that it looks like the top one keyholed, but it did not. That's just where the stick-on target was pasted over a hole in the cardboard target backing, and the vinyl target ripped a tad from the SWCHP bullet passing through.

DA with this out of a little gun is not very pleasant. It isn't something to whine about, but it's not a pleasure, either. The main ache came from the bottom of the inside of the trigger guard slamming against the underside edge of my trigger finger, with the rapid muzzle rise from recoil. Could I get through a 50 round course of fire with it, firing double action? Yes. But I wouldn't much care for it. Aw, well. It works, and I'm happy with it. If it runs anywhere near the published 1000 fps for a 158g bullet out of a 2" revolver, it's pretty impressive.

I think I'll order some of the non +P heavy .38 loads for my Airweight M37.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At Monday, April 28, 2008 11:20:00 AM, Blogger Old NFO said...

You've convinced me... I'm going to try them in my 637 when I get home.

Range report will follow when I get the chance.

 
At Monday, April 28, 2008 1:13:00 PM, Blogger none said...

I've got +P in my 642 and they hurt like hell with that titanium frame.

Those are some great groups for rapid fire.

 
At Monday, April 28, 2008 1:21:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

Please don't misunderstand me, though, Hammer: The first one was slow fire, single action. The M-36 has a bobbed hammer, which I start back with the DA trigger before thumbing it back to full cock. It's snag-free, and safe to do, once you get the hang of it.

But still, it was at a mere 10 yards. I do feel secure that I could take head shots at 25 feet, though, which is handy to know.

 
At Tuesday, April 29, 2008 10:46:00 AM, Blogger Peter said...

Glad they work for you, Matt. Has your Dad shot any of his?

Try a set of Crimson Trace grips on your snubby, too. I find that in low light, with mine, I can do headshots at out to 50 yards if I do my part (and adjust ye little olde red dot to the point of impact).

Looking forward to your comparative impressions of the non +P loads.

 
At Tuesday, April 29, 2008 2:02:00 PM, Blogger Hunter said...

Matt,
Please post your shooting results after loading the M37. I've got one'a those and am always interested in improving the package. Currently using Federals.
Considering what it will take to get a box of ammunition here, I look forward to a shooting report.

Hunter
Ketchikan, AK

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.