Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Saturday, March 01, 2008

Ooh, that could turn out VERY badly....

Apparently, Elizabeth City State University decided to do an emergency response drill.

With students acting as unwitting participants.

A security officer comes in waving a gun, and holds a class hostage.

No, no! It's okay-- the gun is fake.

No, it's FINE-- the students were notified... by email... a week in advance.

Here's the problem. The universities spam your email address.

*I* am enrolled at a university, and they have an alternate email address of mine. I say "alternate," because they constantly send me updates about lectures, concernts, art exhibits, traffic updates, famous alumni, etc. I check it about once a week, to clear out the crap.

If you send me an email on Wednesday that a drill will be conducted during classes in the upcoming week, then the actual drill might look like this on a Monday class:

Professor: [Lecturing] "...so you'll want to keep your dive mask clear as you interlace the reeds...."

College Security plainclothesman walks in pointing a gun at the professor: "I'm gonna shoot you! Get down on the ground!"

Me: Bang, Bang.

CSP: Plop.

Professor: "Oh my Gawd! Don't you check your email?"

- - -

Oops.

Interestingly, they used red guns, but still convinced people that they were going to die.

Well, given the odd colors that guns come in, one might believe....

But I think that you could wave a stapler around, telling people that you were going to shoot them with it, and people would believe you. It's about attitude, and aggression.

Reckless of them to do.

---

H/T to Breda.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At Saturday, March 01, 2008 10:19:00 AM, Blogger SpeakerTweaker said...

Matt, I kid you not. When I heard about this on the net yesterday morning, I went on a tirade in my office telling them of the very situation you described.

I was actually referring to YOU when I mentioned it.

"An officer I know in N. Texas carries if he's wearing clothes at all. Including in classes he takes at a local university. If some asshat had tried that in his class, he would be a very dead asshat."

Fire drills are one thing. Those types of drills are NOT for a classroom, unless it's a class full of police or Marines or some such.

And in either case, you had better make DAMN sure that everyone knows about it.

Wreckless, indeed.



tweaker

 
At Saturday, March 01, 2008 4:18:00 PM, Blogger breda said...

I'm laughing at "plop."

Thanks for the link. =)

 
At Saturday, March 01, 2008 9:55:00 PM, Blogger Mr. Fixit said...

Do you remember a few years (maybe 2-3) ago, when a national gas station chain did a "test" of one of their stations in the Dallas area. I think it was in a northern part of the metroplex. They hired off duty cops to act as bad guys, and sent them into the store while it was doing business to take the employees hostage.
As I recall, they did not tell anyone they were doing it.

I think I have those facts straight, I could be off a bit though.

 
At Sunday, March 02, 2008 11:04:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But if the pseudo-perp brandished a weapon with a dayglow orange muzzle plug, would it have changed anything?

 
At Sunday, March 02, 2008 12:36:00 PM, Blogger John B said...

Matt, I live for the day when someone makes the news that way. Not even a shooting of the idiot. When I attended classes, we drew them from all walks of life. Including the disabled and severely elderly.

Imagine this headline....
Security Guard kills old man with fake gun.....

My favorite would be where the class sociopath -female- stabs his eyes out with her nail file....

And as to the email...
My Community College called recently to tell me that my emails were bouncing, could I provide them with a new address.

I haven't had that address for two years...

I haven't attended that college in six or seven years...

I asked how large that bounce file was. 1.5 Gigs.

I declined to provide them with an alternate email addy.

I also instructed admissions to remove ALL Contact information from my file...

 
At Monday, March 03, 2008 7:08:00 AM, Blogger FarmGirl said...

If that happened in one of my classes the dude with the toy would be screwed, too. I might not shoot him, but he would probably wind up on the floor in some pain.

Of course, my college's policy on that kind of thing is to keep all classroom doors locked at all times, that way if a big bad man comes with a gun, they can shut the doors.

Good as far as it goes, but the lecture halls have double doors that only lock if you use the sliding bolts at the top and bottom of one door and then flip the deadbolt.

Not the quickest thing to do. Which is why the whole class would probably be sitting there with their jaws on the floor while the itty bitty girl did unspeakable things to the big bad man with a gun.

 
At Monday, March 03, 2008 11:08:00 AM, Blogger Zdogk9 said...

You might want to check out this post on Xavier http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/search/label/Ugly%20Guns

 
At Tuesday, March 04, 2008 5:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that is the proper response to a potential mass murderer!

Regards,
NMM1AFan

 
At Thursday, March 06, 2008 6:38:00 AM, Blogger Cybrludite said...

These red guns, do they look like that pic in your post, or like the solid plastic blue guns you see at Midway & Brownells. If it looked like the one in your pic, I know I'd have thrown down on the guy had I been there & been packing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.