Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Monday, August 20, 2007

Quick hits

Sorry I've been not very attentive. Life seems to get in the way of Blog at times.
_ _ _

Dinner with LawDog and his brother last night was good for the company but lame, for the fare. I had to opt for Hobson's choice-- 9:00PM on a Sunday night means there's not much available around here. We went to a chain restaurant (Good Eats), where they managed to mess up pork chops in an impressive feat of poor culinary ability (with a hard fruit glaze of some kind), but worse than that, gave me an inedible mass under them described as "corn bread stuffing" which was too thick for spackle and much, much blander.

How in the hell do you mess up corn bread stuffing?!?

They managed not to screw up the Samuel Adams beer that they brought me, though a glass would have been nice. Apparently the other guys' food was edible-- they ate it. (Of course, they mentioned something about not having eaten for 12 hours, too...)

I don't do the restaurant thing that often. When I do, I like the food to be adequate. I'm mostly embarassed when it might have been inadequate for my guests. Bah. At least the company was nice.
_ _ _

Leaving town in the morning for unknown time (probably not more than two days) to visit my wife's mother and her dying husband. The crotchedy old bastard had finally begun to grow on all of us, and then he up and decides to die.

I'm taking the kids to say goodbye. All that business about "let them remember him the way he was" is rot. He's drifting in and out of consciousness, and they deserve a chance to say goodbye to him, and he deserves to hear it. When my favorite aunt passed away suddenly when I was 7, I wasn't allowed in to see her in the time between her car wreck and her actually dying. I sobbed and sobbed when I found out that she was gone, and I didn't get a chance to say goodbye. To me, that stuff's important, and allows you to get over the actual reality of the death easier.

At 4+ hours each way, it's not a super-quick trip, but we'll make it a two-day trip, before the inevitable funeral, which may be this actual weekend. I'll take the laptop, but doubt there'll be anyplace to blog from-- I'll probably be with the kids and typing reports for work, and answering correspondence. Though we'll be in Austin, it probably won't be that much fun. Maybe I'll run off with the kids to do something fun for half a day. Hm.
_ _ _

For what it's worth, in the next hour I should be hitting 50,000 site visits, according to my SiteMeter. My monthly traffic has increased nine times since I first started a meter in October:

I thank you, Constant Reader, for checking in.

Even if it's Ambulance Driver.

Labels: , , , , , ,

15 Comments:

At Monday, August 20, 2007 4:07:00 PM, Blogger Sabra said...

I'm sorry to hear about your father-in-law.

I spent the year I was 5 living in West Virginia with my aunt & cousins. When I got home to Texas the first thing I wanted to do was visit my grandmother. That's when I found out she'd died when I was in West Virginia, but my mother didn't tell me because she didn't want me to be upset.

I think parents cause more trouble by trying to protect kids than by just letting them experience things honestly.

 
At Monday, August 20, 2007 4:19:00 PM, Blogger Tam said...

Sucky reason for a roadtrip. :(

 
At Monday, August 20, 2007 4:23:00 PM, Blogger Mr. Fixit said...

Best wishes to the family, sorry for the situation.

And you know, it might be AD. He's checking your sitemeter now.

 
At Monday, August 20, 2007 4:46:00 PM, Blogger phlegmfatale said...

So sorry to hear about your in-law, and I agree with you that it's important to let the little ones in on what's going on.

Too bad about Good Eats - they once were a safe bet, even if I curdle at the thought of chain restaurants.

 
At Monday, August 20, 2007 5:37:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sympathy to you & your family. You're doing the right thing, everyone deserves the chance to say goodbye. Our thoughts are with you.

 
At Monday, August 20, 2007 5:47:00 PM, Blogger muse said...

Austin! There are cool things to do in Austin even with the kiddos, take them swimming in the springs, go to the capital bldg. and the museum. As for you, man the music in that town is so spontaneous and eclectic like MoMo's. For something different to eat try the Rockfish Grille and Cantina(it might be a chain)but the tequila shrimp is to die for...

 
At Monday, August 20, 2007 5:53:00 PM, Blogger SpeakerTweaker said...

My condolences to you and your family, sir. My deepest regrets that you could not have known the better side of him sooner.

If you get bored, drop me a line. I can be in Austin in no time. Maybe hit a range or find some eats. I know this killer little taco joint in South Austin that'll redefine your idea of Tex-Mex...



tweaker

 
At Monday, August 20, 2007 6:14:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

I like little taco joints.

Dunno about music-- we have a 5 and 9 year old.

May make a run to the Saltlick.

 
At Monday, August 20, 2007 7:15:00 PM, Blogger SpeakerTweaker said...

Oooooohhh.... Saltlick....

I'm in.



tweaker

 
At Monday, August 20, 2007 8:16:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Sorry to hear that Matt, and yes, you are doing the right thing with the kids!

I'm in for the Saltlick- It'll take me a 'little' longer to get there than you...

 
At Monday, August 20, 2007 10:46:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

Looks like they're not gonna get the chance. Docs called my M.I.L. in half an hour ago. Looks like endgame. :(

 
At Tuesday, August 21, 2007 7:48:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

kHey - - Just in case you check the blog before driving south - -

I know you'll do what needs to be done. You mentioned taking the gurrls away for a bit, to have some fun. One suggestion: The (fairly) new Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum. It's laid out in such a way that you can cruise right through it, or leave off certain sections and still get a lot out of it. And the exhibits are set up in such a way that kids seem to enjoy it.

Best regards to your family.

 
At Tuesday, August 21, 2007 11:11:00 PM, Blogger Constance said...

Saying goodbye is very important. I'm glad that you are taking the kids to do it --

 
At Wednesday, August 22, 2007 7:28:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

Too late.

He died while we were en route.

My 9 year old is doing a lot of crying.

 
At Wednesday, August 22, 2007 9:29:00 PM, Blogger Ambulance Driver said...

My condolences to you and your family, Matt.

Sending some prayers your way, my friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.