Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Open Letter To A Certain Anonymous Punk I Know:

If you are accused of a crime, and the officer arrives on the scene before you leave, please understand:

Your lawyer's name isn't of the slightest importance to me. I only care that you want him before you will speak to me. The fact that you lawyered up in no way has thrown a wrench in my investigation-- as a matter of fact, it's made my report a lot shorter. Under the title "Suspect's Statements," I will simply type: "Refused." That's a LOT easier than having to transcribe your written or oral statement to my report.

In the mean time, you're free to go, while I collect witness statements from all the other people who say you did a bad thing.

So you've decided to stand mute, as is your right. You've decided to leave at the very first opportunity, which is your right.

Good job-- you've given The Man nothing to use against you.

But come this time next week, you'll be posting bond.

Isn't it nice that it works out for you, and for me, and for the victim of your crime, and for the citizens that I work for?

Everybody's happy.

Well, everybody who's saying anything is.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At Tuesday, August 28, 2007 4:31:00 AM, Blogger Ted Martin said...

Matt,

I've tagged you for a meme: 8 random facts about me. If you're interested, the guidelines are here:

8 random facts

Thanks!

 
At Tuesday, August 28, 2007 7:03:00 AM, Blogger Don said...

You jackboot, you.

How about "I KNOW THE LAW! YOU CAN'T DO THAT! I KNOW THE LAW!"

 
At Tuesday, August 28, 2007 7:18:00 AM, Blogger Old NFO said...

LOL... Also makes it a lot easier when the perp is not there to hear what is said, that way he can't make up more lies before he talks to the lawyer.

 
At Tuesday, August 28, 2007 9:03:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

Some day I'm going to write a blog entitled "The Various Reactions To Hearing The Miranda Warning."

Come to think of it, there's probably a hell of a graduate paper there, too.

 
At Tuesday, August 28, 2007 10:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"In the mean time, you're free to go, while I collect witness statements from all the other people who say you did a bad thing."

and...

"So you've decided to stand mute, as is your right. You've decided to leave at the very first opportunity, which is your right."

Matt,

I'll defer to you on the laws of Texas, but here in Commiefornia the cops detain & search everybody until things are sorted out to their satisfaction. "Am I free to go?" is instantly a failure of the attitude test. Also any person they come into contact with, FOR WHAT EVER REASON, gets the full monty records check.

DL/WARRANT/AFS(Automated Firearms System History)

Ever bought a firearm? In seconds the dispatcher has a list of every transfer. It's automatic each time they run a DL, and that info is given over the air, just as if it were a warrant or something.

Oh, you're not driving? They still demand ID even if you're complaining abuot the neighbors dog barking.

All information generated during the "contact" also gets parsed into a searchable database for future use.

1984 is coming soon...

Gary

PS: Matt, it seems obvious that both you and LD see yourselves as "Peace Officers". The JBTs we have here consider themselves to be "Law Enforcement Officers".

There seems to be quite a difference in mindset...

All my life, I've been very pro-police. I have never recieved so much as a parking ticket. Events of the past few years have convinced me that they are not "here to help".

I am very disturbed by that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.