Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Thursday, May 24, 2007

No frogs predicted.

Yesterday I dialed some digits on my phone, holding it hard to my ear to hear over the banging. Brrrrrt! Brrrrrt! Brrrrrrt! [Was he ever gonna pick up? I hadn't yet read that he was indisposed most of yesterday.] Brrrrrt! Click! "Ambulance Driver."

"A.D., my house has been descended upon by a gang of Mexicans with gas-operated guns!" I began.

"Who the Hell is this?" he responded.

We chatted for another hour, while the Spanish-speaking work crew re-shingled my roof with compressed-air-powered nail guns. Toward the end, I noticed something wrong-- silence. I went outside and found that I had a new roof, and all traces of the efficient work crew were gone. Disappeared. No bits of old shingle or tar paper. No nails. Certainly no soft drink cans. Good work, done in about 5 hours. Well, heck-- for the $4,200 and change the insurance company figured the job cost, I should darned well get good service.

Today, about two hours after I scratched out a $2800 check to the roof repair contractor for the new roof ($1000 deductible, and depreciation...), I was out mowing, when this crap hit me.* Air got COLD. Low clouds started becoming turbulent and pebbly grey on the bottom, as cold air descended through the layer of warm moist air. Not good. Pea-sized hail first started bouncing off my head and the mower, before it turned to dime-sized (parked the Honda under the front yard tree), and on to nickle-sized.

I sat on the front porch, and watched chunks of ice just large enough to use to chill your beverage bounce off of my brand-new, $4000 roof.
_ _ _ _


* Note the Yellow and the Green squares in the middle of the red band? That'd be my house in there. Very nice.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At Thursday, May 24, 2007 6:43:00 PM, Blogger Ambulance Driver said...

I swear I didn't send the weather.

Okay, maybe I did, to remind you of things you need to do. There's nothing like a good thunderstorm to keep a guy pinned down at his keyboard. Don't worry, it won't last long and it won't be bad enough to damage the new roof.

Don't make me send the frogs and locusts, though.

 
At Thursday, May 24, 2007 6:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got hung up in the office and didn't get out of here until 1515 for lunch today. I swear, as soon as I slammed the truck door shut it opened up on me.

Dagnabbit, you keep your bourbon rocks on your side of the county line, you whippersnapper!

AND GET OFF MY LAWN!

Looks like you're getting 2 roofs this year.

:D

Regards,
Rabbit.

 
At Friday, May 25, 2007 12:17:00 AM, Blogger Sabra said...

Heh, that's down here now, at least the front end of it. Here's hoping we don't get hail.

 
At Friday, May 25, 2007 8:06:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You didn't keep mowing in the hail and rain? My wife still thinks I am crazy for finishing up the yard during a rain/hail storm.

 
At Saturday, May 26, 2007 10:45:00 AM, Blogger Barbara said...

Send some of that rain over here. Pretty please???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.