Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Bass Fission

Back when...

If you look to the bottom right of Manet's lovely 1882 impressionist masterpiece A Bar at the Folies-Bergère you see a bottle that modern beer drinkers will be familiar with. As I browsed about for my weekend tipple last week, I was vacillating between giving the Dogfish Brewery 90 Minute IPA a try (I had been well impressed with the 60 Minute version the week before, having followed Tamara's suggestion. Mmmmm.... Bitters.) and just going back to an old reliable-Spaten Optimator. Finally, my desire for malt coupled with a nice October cold front compelled me to grab the familiar old dopplebock. As I began to wander toward the register, however, the 24 oz. bottle of Bass in the singles case caught my eye, and I thought back to the fine art that Manet had wrought in the penultimate year of his life, 124 years ago. In a fit of responding to style over substance, I bought a bottle of the Bass, as well. Now Bass has always been to me a great complement to fish, or half of the ingredients to a good Black and Tan, but I had no fish at home, and no stout to float over it. Clearly I should just have put it up until later. So what did I do?

Bass for all ages
Duh. I drank it, and took a picture of the bottle next to the picture on my computer monitor. What would YOU do?

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At Thursday, October 26, 2006 11:26:00 PM, Blogger HollyB said...

Not being a beer snob, I'd most likely drink the Bass while I listened to the XX offspring play the Bass or talked to my Bro about his bass mount over the fireplace. Yuck, yuck. What I'd really prefer is one of those girly drinks, you know, a frozen mango Daquiri.

 
At Friday, October 27, 2006 1:37:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

I think I'm going to throw up, now, Holly.

And that chick at Monet's bar? She wouldn't make you one.

 
At Tuesday, October 31, 2006 10:37:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt I have a couple of suggestions for some British brews. Two of my favorites are brewed by Fullers, London Pride and Fullers ESB,I have also tried (and enjoyed) the India Pale Ale and the London Porter(least favorite of the Fuller products I have tried.
http://www.fullers.co.uk/frames.phtml
another one I have found and enjoyed is Old Peculier.
Note the warning on the website

OG1057, 5.6% ABV

Strength Warning:
The power of Old Peculier should
never be underestimated.

With 5.6% ABV, it wouldn’t take
too many Old Peculiers for you
to start feeling the effects!
It’s a grown-up beer for grown-
up drinkers – and it demands just
a little respect. As with anything,
moderation is the name of the
game.
http://www.theakstons.co.uk/LA/OldPeculier.htm
Hope you get a chance to try these brews
Les A
P.S I too enjoy the 24 oz Bottles of Bass(which taste alot like London Pride)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.