Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Things get better.

My elder daughter has moved home, after evaluating her financial situation. She didn't flounder; just just saw that she wasn't actually saving any money to pay for college. At the rate she was going, she would be forced to borrow money next year. She cleaned out her room, found her roommates a new renter for the room who was acceptable, and took back her old room in my house. And it's splendid having her home. She pays us a bit of rent, too. And she cooks and messes up dishes which I wash, because that's' part of the deal we made. And we drink coffee, and have her extremely conservative boyfriend over for dinner, and have lively political discussions with respect and love.

Seriously-- I'm happy.

My younger daughter is engaged in competitive colorguard, and practices hard with the band, and is tanned and muscled, from long days for half the summer flipping wooden practice rifles, and spinning flags. She's in the choir, in a band of her making, and in the Art Club at high school, while taking every honors class that is offered to her. She's happy.


My wife and I took a trip to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, where we observed the total eclipse on 8/21/2017 in North Carolina, then drove to Kentucky to Mammoth Cave National Park and to Land Between The Lakes, before heading to Arkansas to go to Hot Springs National Park. We stayed in our "new" 15 year-old Coleman pop-up camper. We took pictures of elk and bear and flowers and hand-hewn cabins. It was fun. My wife and I were happy.
I came back and decompressed for a couple of days before starting my new job at work; I'm now the first detective that we've employed at our little PD.
Mama bear and two of three cubs that we saw with her. Zoom in to embiggen.

The night before coming back on, my boss texted me that we would start by hitting the range together; he'd bought a new gun. (Sig P220 Legionaire.) As I hadn't qualified with my personally-owned Glock 31 (Gen 3) as a main duty gun, I went ahead and brought it to qualify with, as well. There are few nicer things than shooting Other People's Ammo, on the clock, and for a good purpose. He shot more accurately, but my times were very fast.

Today, I was buried in new cases. Financial, Juveniles, sensitive nature cases. Animal cruelty. CPS cases. Follow-up on felony DWIs, and drug cases.

I'm happy.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At Friday, September 01, 2017 4:08:00 AM, Blogger Carteach said...

This is the single best thing I have read in quite a long time. Thank you for sharing. It honestly gives me hope that such happiness exists, and is out there.

 
At Sunday, September 03, 2017 12:34:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

So good news all around! :-) Nothing wrong with that!!!

 
At Monday, September 18, 2017 8:53:00 AM, Anonymous Shrimp said...

Sometimes, the key to happiness is finding happiness in what you have, and not in what you wish you had. Some would see the daughter moving back home as "failure" or "not what is supposed to happen" and therefore, not happy. Others would see the workload of cases you've been handed as "work, work, work" and be distressed or unhappy because they've got so much to do. I'm glad for you, seeing as you are happy.

BTW, how was the eclipse? Good weather, got to see the entire event? Travel not too crazy?

My family and I got up to a little town in Nebraska called Alliance, and had the time of our lives. My wife liked it so much, she's already planning for the next one in 2024.

 
At Sunday, January 14, 2018 1:24:00 PM, Blogger Comrade Misfit said...

The eclipse was awesome! All my life, I never understood why people would go to such lengths to see one.

Now I do. If I'm still alive in 2045, I intend to see that one. Six minutes of totality; should be amazing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.