Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Get off of my side.

Look, neighbor we've got some things in common, you and I. We both like to shoot. We appreciate nice guns. Heck, we even have a certain appreciation for not-so-nice guns. We both also hold our current administration with some contempt. So, common ground, I guess?

But you see, my contempt for our sitting President isn't based upon the color of his skin. It's not completely based upon his origin*.  It's not based upon his religion or lack of it**.

As a matter of fact, it is actually his pandering to race which is one of the reasons that I'm annoyed by our sitting President.

I don't like racism. I find myself irritated by racists. But I try, for the most part, to live and let live.

But you know what really pushes my button?

Imply that I'm a racist.

And here's the thing: when you and I, recent acquaintances, are having conversation between almost-strangers, and you casually drop the N-word and other racial remarks about our sitting President-- you're making some assumptions about me. You're assuming that I'm complicit with your speech, and your way of thinking. You're assuming that I'm not offended, and will continue this conversation. By implication, you are saying that you believe that I'm like you. A racist.

I'm not. And while I may appreciate the courtesies that you may have shown me and mine, I'll be taking my leave. Because today I can't stand talking to you, and your racist friends.

_____________________________
*Hawaii? No. Kenya? I'm not a birther. Politically, he's from Chicago. There's a lot of righteous disdain to be held for Chicago's political system.

** Although his attendance to Rev. Jeremiah Wright's church, and support (until called on the issue) of a man who is patently racist, bothers me.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:50:00 PM, Blogger Well Seasoned Fool said...

In thirty years of retailing cars and trucks, at least once a year someone would shake hands with me while pressing three fingers on my wrist. For those who don't know, that is a Klan handshake. I would return the three fingers on their wrist.

From that point, I would use every trick I ever learned to inflict maximum financial harm to their transaction.

 
At Wednesday, October 22, 2014 1:01:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

That's a Klan shake those bastards have been giving me? I've been wondering what was up with it.

Look, if you've got to be all secret, there's a problem.

 
At Wednesday, October 22, 2014 1:21:00 PM, Anonymous Roy in Nipomo said...

I keep telling folk: it isn't his father's genetics, it is his mother's politics.

 
At Wednesday, October 22, 2014 8:34:00 PM, Anonymous Shrimp said...

I had to kick a guy out of my bar for using that word about our current president. I told him after the first one, the use of that word around me is a no-go. You can call the man all kinds of things, and I'll even entertain the notion he's a Kenyan born Muslim who is actively trying to destroy America because he hates everything about America except our golf courses. But you will not use that word in my bar.

I guess he didn't believe me. Or was intoxicated enough not to notice/care, hence the reason I cut him off and kicked him out.

I don't like Obama, but my dislike of the man has nothing to do with his skin, but everything to do with his politics.

 
At Friday, October 24, 2014 6:12:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

You did the right thing... Nuff said.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.