Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Upside down.

After working a full night and then some at the PD on Sunday, I hurried home, and changed clothes and went to the Fire Department. After doing a thorough vehicle check on a new piece of apparatus that we had just gotten second-hand from a larger department, I went to get my physical.

One of the reasons that I went to get my physical is because September is National Prostate Cancer Awareness Month, and it was time to see if my PSA had fluctuated at all. The last couple of years, my Prostate Specific Antigen has been so very low that the chances of me being one of the one in six men who develop prostate cancer are extremely low.  I get this every year. No, I've not had the digital-rectal exam in some time. Yes, the PSA test has a certain false result rate. But over the years, getting multiple negatives tends to show a trend line.  Get yourself checked, gentlemen. It was part of the same blood draw that they did for my overall workup. My insurance pays for the wellness check once a year for FREE, and that's not at all uncommon. One single stick in my left arm, and I get to find out all kinds of things about myself. You need to do this.  And you need to donate to the outstanding fundraising efforts being coordinated by my good friends for Kilted To Kick Cancer.

While at the doctor's office, I endured his very nice, but kind of embarrassing praise about my recent weight loss. I guess that 30 lbs is a lot to most people, but when you start at over 300 pounds, it's really just 10%.  My doc asked what I've been doing, and I shrugged and said that I've been moving around a little more, eating a little less, and I've cut carbohydrates in my diet. This last part makes me sad, because it's akin to scrubbing on a stain for 10 minutes, and realizing that you're actually making progress. Dang it-- I'm going to have to keep at it. :(

As you can see from my trend line on my geeky homemade spreadsheet, the progress is slow but sure.  But no one wants to read about someone's diet; I apologize.

I then took the Fire Chief's city truck in to get serviced, and found myself waiting in the lobby of the dealer maintenance department for 2 hours, realizing my blunder: I hadn't eaten all night and all morning, because I was NPO for the blood draw! Curses!  I stopped on the way back to the FD and ate heartily of sandwiches without their buns.

Getting to sleep after 3:00pm, I expected to get up and work on my EMT class online from about 11:00pm until 7:00am. I woke at 3:30am-- I had slept the clock around. I've not done that in a long time. But I'd been up for about 23 hours, too.

So it is that I'm now finishing my weekend kind of upside down. I got up this morning at about 1:30am, when I should have gotten up 10 hours or more before. Today is going to be rough at work.

_______________________

I just now was getting my workout gear together, for a half-hour workout before my wife and kids get up. The majority of my marriage, I've been on opposite shifts from my wife. I have learned how to gather clothes in the dark pretty well. By accident, I've learned the value of a blacklight flashlight.  It turns out that I can shine a pretty bright UV flashlight around the bedroom as I get my stuff together, and this doesn't bother my sleeping wife the same as even a weak white light would. The reflected UV light just doesn't seem to penetrate the eyelids. So now I've got one on my bedside table.


Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, September 24, 2014 7:29:00 AM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Congrats on the weight loss! And shift work sucks...

 
At Wednesday, September 24, 2014 2:38:00 PM, Blogger Knucklehead said...

Congrats on the weight loss. It is a grind. Very difficult to sustain long enough when you have so far to go but I am in a good mode now and hope you are also.

RE: the flashlight... a red lens should work about the same for you and it has the added advantage of not making dust, lint, and other gremlins shine brightly.

Good luck on the weight. I'm on a mission to get 30 lbs off. That will leave me with plenty to spare but will give my poor legs a break. Not quite 1/2 way yet but moving in the right direction.

 
At Thursday, September 25, 2014 7:13:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

I'm a broad 6'5" and don't have that far to go.
Red lights don't work the same; you see it through your lids.

 
At Friday, October 10, 2014 11:33:00 AM, Blogger Robert said...

BZ on the weight loss.

Re the PSA: FWIW, my local VA doc says they quit doing the blood test per the recommendation of whatever committee that recommends such stuff. Seems the correlation twixt PSA and man trouble is too weak to use as a guide.

Re the UV light: interesting. I'm thinking you might get tasked with additional cleanup duty if she sees previously-unseen crud glowing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.