Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Thursday morning Randoms.

--While I agree that we should absolutely brook no foolishness, and should arrest judges and cops alike for DWI --as apparently has been happening in Broward County, FL to three (!) judges this year-- I am impressed at the foolishness of Public Defender Finklestein's comments:

Finkelstein said he doubted Judge Rosenthal’s claim of the Ambien CR affecting her. “I have a little bit of experience with drugs. That is not from an Ambien at 10 o’clock at night,” Finkelstein said. “The fact that she refused the urine and the blood test is gonna keep people wondering.”

Way to get all prosecutorial, Mr. Public Defender! Hope you don't find yourself on the judge's blacklist...

--While watching an old Magnum P.I. episode (Look, don't judge me.), I see Magnum checking his load in his Government model while in the middle of a gunfight in a dock warehouse. He drops the magazine, and we see that he has two rounds left in the magazine. More importantly, we see... that it's a 9mm!  No! Say it ain't so!
In almost the next scene, he's firing, and you can clearly see the muzzle is not a .45.
So disillusioned. This of course is why he almost immediately gets shot and spends the rest of the episode in "Limbo".

--Wait-- Jeff MacKay is dead? But, he was the best sidekick!

--Wait-- Zsa Zsa Gabor is still alive? At 97, she's still ki-- er, ticking. (She lost a leg a couple of years back.)

--My patrol car suffered hail damage last month. The state insurance agency has totaled the car, for minor peens on the top surfaces, which didn't even crack the paint. Yeah, the car has some years on it, but it runs great! I understand the insurance company's math (the cost of refinishing the surfaces costs more than they reckon the car is worth), but this does NOT work out well for the department. The check that we get will nowhere nearly get us a new patrol car.  I wish we could take back the claim. But we can't. The insurance is dropped. That car will never run another patrol. Honestly, I'm thinking about following up on where the insurance company sells it; it's a good vehicle.

--I shot a police pistol match on Friday with my newly-issued Generation 4 Glock 31, shooting our new duty ammo, 147g Hornady XTP .357 Sig. It shot very well. I put the ski-jump big grip swell on the backstrap, and it felt good, so I'm leaving it on. I plan to purchase the Gen 3 Glock 31 that I carried for 7 and a half years. Interestingly, the Glock-branded steel tritium night sights were dead-on. As I have complained for years about the lack of quality of the Glock factory sights, let's hope that this kind of sight quality is the new standard. No scores from the match yet, but I didn't completely cover myself with shame. (At 30 seconds a miss, I shot slow.)

--I'm putting off taking my car in, now that I've cleaned it out to be turned in. Heck, I even threw a little Armor-All on the dash.

--Measles cases are at a 20 year high in the U.S. Jenny McCarthy and Andrew Wakefield can choke on a bowl of oversized phalli.

--You know that crazy woe-is-me narcissist who killed people at UCSB? Two observations:
1. When you show his videos and pictures and repeat his manifesto and say his name, you're putting out sugar for the ants (other people with issues who want to go out in a big enough blaze of glory that they reckon will make you HAVE to say their name.).
2. It was people with guns who stopped the rampage. Wouldn't it have been nice if someone had shot at him even earlier? Keep in mind that the shots at the bad guy don't have to kill him. This guy got hit in the hip, and then shot himself in the head.

--I finished The Watchmen, after having slowed my reading to about a chapter a night (well, maybe just a little faster). It was interesting. My brother was excited that we had something to talk about, and wants me to get into Daredevil. I don't see why not. But I'm not buying this over-priced thing.

--We are out of coffee. Except for that canned stuff, which doesn't count. Friday afternoon is payday, when I get more. (We've been paying huge surplus payments to our standing debt, to make it go away, which means that I suddenly long for Friday.)

--The weather is FAR better than what we usually get in late May. It's not even in the 90s. Blue skies with the odd fluffy white cloud for decoration.

--My daughter was inducted to the National Honor Society last night. Lots and lots of good and great kids are NOT so inducted. But I will say that of those NHS members on stage last night, none of them were regular "customers" of mine. Good kids all. I can be pretty glad that my kid is a member of their little local chapter.
 

Labels: , , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At Thursday, May 29, 2014 4:52:00 PM, Blogger Geodkyt said...

There's a very good reason they used a 9mm 1911.

Blank adpating a .45ACP 1911 is a bitch -- it's way easier to blank adapt the 9mm's, in large part because of case length. . . crimped blanks open up like a shotgun shell, so a fired blank is longer than a loaded ball round, but the 9mm 1911s use the same size ejection port as the .45 ones. Plus, the 9x19mm blank adaptions seem to be more reliable in general (pressure curves, maybe).

 
At Thursday, May 29, 2014 8:21:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Congrats to her! And I'd be buying the car as a beater... Just sayin..

 
At Friday, May 30, 2014 6:55:00 PM, Anonymous KCSteve said...

If you want really good coffee cheaper roast your own. I get my beans from Sweet Marias. While I have dedicated roaster(s) all you need to start is a stovetop popcorn popper.

 
At Saturday, May 31, 2014 12:23:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

I started to say "You must be new here," but then I saw the name, and you've been here a fair bit, KCSteve!

You surely missed the installment in which I described my methods for turning green coffee into roasted coffee. :D

 
At Saturday, May 31, 2014 8:44:00 PM, Anonymous KCSteve said...

Yep - I don't think I was here yet in 2011. So you've got the WhirlyPopper and the knowledge so all you need are the greens.

 
At Sunday, June 01, 2014 8:46:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

Oh, I may have a few ounces stashed away, come to think of it. . . :)

 
At Monday, June 02, 2014 12:51:00 AM, Blogger Rabbit said...

Missed you this weekend. Welcome to the Cult of 357sig. I rather enjoy not having to compute holdover on the fly to adjust for longer distances.

 
At Monday, June 02, 2014 2:51:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

Rabbit, I've been carrying a .357 Sig on duty for 7.5 years. I first shot a G32 of Doug Smith's in the mid-'90s, and was impressed at the inherent accuracy of the round.

 
At Sunday, June 08, 2014 8:44:00 AM, Blogger Firehand said...

I've known several people who've done that; car/truck took hail or other relatively minor damage, insurance totaled it, so they bought it and kept using it.

 
At Sunday, June 15, 2014 9:53:00 AM, Blogger Don said...

I don't know what the Glock night sights used to be like (never owned a Glock with stock sights until this current G17, which is also only my second new gun, ever) but the standard G4 are still the same plastic wedges with field goals on them.

I just replaced those with a set of Warren Tactical night sights, which are much easier on the eyes in dry fire, but I haven't busted a live cap with them yet. We will see.

And as for Magnum. . . . I don't think T.C. was really flying the helicopter, either. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.