Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Just that easy.

A commenter in my previous post suggests that I could probably get the best loan rate from a savings and loan. I sure don't dispute it, though we don't have an S&L in my community.

Perhaps I could have shopped around and gotten a better rate. But I think I'd have ended up within a 1/4 percent of what I'm getting, and in this case, the banker saw me walk in, called me by name, offered some services that will permit me not to make a round trip into the Dallas area and which will hurry things up, and also permitted me to not have my wife come in from work to do some paperwork during the business day.

Small town banks and honest small town bankers are part of what makes things happen. This guy bent over backwards to grease the wheels for me, because he knew that I was a member of his community, a patron of his bank, and a good risk, even when I got out of a 15 year old Honda and walked in wearing a bad haircut and a rumpled shirt. He also knew that I needed to hit that coffee machine before sitting down.

The last time that I'd seen him, he'd been sweating over a grill, selling cheap burgers and hotdogs at a community event to raise money for the community youth activity fund, in this town that he grew up in.

I'll pay that extra quarter percent, I think, and never look back.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At Tuesday, August 21, 2012 6:16:00 PM, Blogger Mark said...

I love small town banks. The employees are members of the community, and if you have a problem they will go out of their way to help you. To them you are not just an account, but a friend and fellow member of the community.

 
At Wednesday, August 22, 2012 12:16:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paying a little more for personal service is seldom a bad policy.

 
At Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:25:00 PM, Blogger charlotte g said...

Yes. You know what? Even in business, relationships are still important. When that humanity creeps in, the deal just goes better. Lord knows I am happy with my own smalltown deal.

 
At Saturday, August 25, 2012 9:01:00 AM, Blogger Old NFO said...

AND you're supporting your local community... That's definitely worth 1/4 percent to me! Glad it worked out for you and the wife!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.