Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Well, dang. I gotta get a loan.

We at Chez G have been living mostly within our means. This means that, when it was time to start looking at newer cars, we enjoyed the hilarity of driving up in our POS worn-out commuter cars, dressed in day-off grungy, and getting very little interest by the car salesmen. When we inquired about test-driving cars on lots, they then would reasonably ask to see our driver's licenses, and go "to make a photocopy." During that 10 minute photocopy, they also quickly checked our credit rating. All of a sudden, the car salesman would literally be jogging back up to us. Big smiles. Very friendly, as he suggested perhaps that we might prefer to look at this higher end model over here? 

Break 800 on a credit rating, and that kind of thing happens. But there's a reason that we do all right in the credit rating, and it doesn't come from spending money that we don't have. In fact, we've not made a car payment in eight years, because that's when we paid off our newest car. We know that moving to a car payment is going to hurt.

We decided to buy yet another used car. My wife wanted a Subaru Outback. That was not incompatible with my own criteria for a car. Thus if she wanted it, I wanted it. We ended up finding a decent deal for and '06 Outback on eBay Motors. We bid on it, and won the auction.

Apparently, we then had to get them $2,000 within 24 hrs. Done.

Now, I've got to go get a car loan. This is basically a foregone conclusion that I'll get it. but I HATE applying for loans. I break out in hives at the word "lien."

So, here we go. Sigh. This is me, getting up.

And we're off.

To get a loan.

Okay.

Bye.

Oh look, is that coffee? Just one more cup.

Labels: , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At Tuesday, August 21, 2012 4:05:00 PM, Blogger ZerCool said...

For what it's worth, back when I was selling cars, we really did just make a copy of the license and leave it on the desk for a test drive. Store policy - so that if a car didn't come back from a test drive, we had something to hand the police.

Also, we'd have to get one for the DMV paperwork anyway, so it got that step out of the way.

 
At Tuesday, August 21, 2012 4:20:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Yep, really sucks, but today to buy a 'decent' car it's pretty much a requirement. Not like 20 years ago when you could "save" enough to just buy one outright!

 
At Tuesday, August 21, 2012 4:42:00 PM, Blogger Well Seasoned Fool said...

Almost always your best place - credit union. I say this as someone who retailed autos and trucks for thirty years.

 
At Tuesday, August 21, 2012 4:59:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh do I sympathize! We're about to make our first mortgage payment in 5 1/2 years - ouch! It does beat the heck out of the rent we were paying on my husband's apartment before I could move...

 
At Tuesday, August 21, 2012 7:58:00 PM, Anonymous aczarnowski said...

Have fun with the new ride.

 
At Thursday, August 30, 2012 9:03:00 AM, Blogger TOTWTYTR said...

I never let them photocopy my license. I'll show it to them, and even invite them along for the ride. I'll tell them that IF I like the car and if I like the salesman, they can do a credit check.

If they are hungry enough, and most are, they'll meekly comply. If they don't, it's off to another dealer.

Of course I've used the same dealer and salesman for over 10 years now, so we're pretty comfortable with each other.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.