Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Why? Why?!?

They're remaking True Grit.

I don't understand Hollywood's love affair with taking a classic, and trying to redo it.

Oh, that's not true: I do, too. To most questions starting with "Why don't they...?" or "Why did they...?", the answer is simply "Money." As a friend of mine sometimes said, "Follow the money trail.................."

The movie industry, like almost any other industry worth its salt, is in the business of making money. Remaking a classic award-winning movie that was very successful 41 years before will get nostalgic suckers theatre-goers to buy tickets. There are likely more John Wayne fans now than there were back then, so the take will probably be good.

I don't have a problem with Matt Damon as Le Boeuf. Hell, that's an upgrade. Glenn Campbell once said of his movie experience: "I'd never acted in a movie before, and every time I see True Grit, I think my record's still clean."

I don't know the new actress playing Mattie Ross. She's probably a superb actress, who is kicking off a grand career.

Barry Pepper takes Robert Duvall's position as "Lucky" Ned Pepper. Was he chosen for his name? It's true that he looks very similar to the way Duvall looked back then. (Which begs the question: are the Cohens just trying to do the whole thing the same, without any artistic license to change?)

But Jeff Bridges plays the role of Marshall Reuban J. "Rooster" Cogburn? Jeff. Frickin'. Bridges?

Look, just because I'm going to buy a ticket doesn't mean that I support this kind of misdeed.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At Thursday, June 17, 2010 10:03:00 AM, Blogger Michael W. said...

Simple enough........

The writers in hollywierd just don't have the creative juices to write something worth seeing, or they want to put a their own modern spin on the classics. I told someone that the remake of The Wolfman would probably end with a bikini clad Sarah Palin hanging off the skid of a helicopter firing a "black rifle" to end the life of the poor persecuted Wolfman.

Or it could be like a buddy told me, "They just can't leave sh*t alone"

Take your pick.

 
At Thursday, June 17, 2010 5:16:00 PM, Blogger Rabbit said...

Could be worse.

Could be Beau Bridges.

 
At Thursday, June 17, 2010 6:02:00 PM, Blogger Keith said...

Eh, I can see Jeff Bridges sucking less than a lot of people they could have chosen. Stick a patch on him and he can handle the one eyed old fat man part of the role. At least it isn't George Clooney and Brad Pitt.

 
At Thursday, June 17, 2010 6:02:00 PM, Anonymous James Nelson said...

It is a cheap and easy way to avoid having to take the risk of doing something creative.

 
At Thursday, June 17, 2010 8:24:00 PM, Blogger Omnibabe said...

That's Marshall Reuben J. "The Dude" Cogburn to you, mister. "Rooster" is not chill enough, doncha know?

(Is there not one original story line in Hollywood these days?)

 
At Friday, June 18, 2010 8:56:00 AM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Michael beat me to it, and he is absolutely correct... some people say EVERY movie made is a variation on a Shakespeare play, and nothing more...

 
At Saturday, June 19, 2010 9:42:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"just because I'm going to buy a ticket doesn't mean that I support this kind of misdeed."

I'll wait 'til it's in Redbox for a buck (or maybe on TeeWee for free) so I REALLY don't support them.

 
At Monday, June 21, 2010 1:10:00 PM, Blogger CalvinsMom said...

Dude. By buying that ticket, you are supporting that shit. Encouraging it, even.

Don't come crying to me when they re-make "Casablanca" with Robert Pattinson as Rick and Megan Fox as Elsa.

 
At Monday, June 21, 2010 4:12:00 PM, Anonymous Caleb said...

Actually, I kind of dig Jeff Bridges in this role. After I saw him play the badguy in Iron Man 1, I gained a lot of respect for his acting chops. Plus, he was really good in Crazyheart.

Although I wonder why Josh Brolin is attached to the IMDB page...with no credits?

 
At Tuesday, June 22, 2010 5:38:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

"Dude. By buying that ticket, you are supporting that shit. Encouraging it, even."

Uh, I know. That's the joke.

 
At Monday, December 27, 2010 3:53:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

Brolin did a great job of playing the stoopid bad guy Mattie Ross was after.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.