Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Friday, January 23, 2009

In the top ten.

I don't buy movies. In this day and age, I can punch one up on the NetFlix queue and have it at my door in two days, or if I really want it now, I can oftentimes stream it.

But when it comes to one's Top Ten, one considers keeping a small library of movies.

I just got done watching for the second time my new DVD of The Wind And The Lion. The soundtrack has been remastered, and watching it on the laptop with headphones has been most gratifying.

You've never seen it? A wonderful portrayal of Teddy Roosevelt by Brian Keith. A depiction of the turn-of-the century U.S. Marine Corps that will make you consider enlistment. A relatively respectful portrayal of the cheap life of the barbary pirates in Morroco in 1904 (with the Sultan Raisuli speaking with a Scottish accent. So? You would prefer perhaps that he spoke in the Berber tongue? I wouldn't.) Broomhandle mausers, Krags, 1895 Winchesters, bayonets against sabers and scimitars.

Damn, but it's satisfying. And at $8.00 new, it's cheap to buy.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At Friday, January 23, 2009 3:57:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

I've missed that one, will have to find it! Thanks for the review.

 
At Friday, January 23, 2009 4:38:00 PM, Blogger Crucis said...

And don't forget Candice Bergen and Sean Connery as the Sheik.

 
At Friday, January 23, 2009 8:48:00 PM, Blogger Michael W. said...

What a Great Movie!

" True men fight with swords, so that they can see in each others eyes. Sometimes, this isn't possible so the they fight with rifles"

If it didn't happen that way, it SHOULD have.

-Grin-

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 7:57:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sleeping through this movie one night produced one of my favorite dreams.

I was down to Crawford and me and George were out at the stock tank plinking at targets over on the dam while a detail of the Marine Band provided background music and the Secret Service muttered admiringly about the accuracy of our fire.

I really want to get back into that dream.

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 7:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best part of all is when TR is trying out the world's army rifles using pictures of kings and princes for targets!

 
At Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:25:00 PM, Blogger LauraB said...

Ah, one fine movie with one of my fav lines, ever...

"...is there not one thing in your life that is worth losing everything for?"

 
At Friday, January 30, 2009 8:20:00 AM, Blogger Tam said...

I really, really need to see that movie...

 
At Sunday, February 01, 2009 8:35:00 AM, Blogger Robert Langham said...

My favorite sequence is the march from the docks to the sultans palace. Sheer video genius. On Youtube.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.