Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Friday, June 20, 2008

Vivid dreams.

Lately I've been waking up with clear memories of my vivid dreams. And, unlike before, they're actually pretty decent. Mostly B movies, but with happy endings that don't fill me with dread. Uh, that's a switch.

I don't know what all these dreams mean. Oh, I certainly don't believe that dreams are foreshadowing of anything to come-- that's bollocks-- but I surely do know that our subconscious minds will chew on stuff a lot when we let our guards down. It is more remarkable to me that the dreams are ones that I can recall than that they are generally happy-ending dreams.

I suspect that it's just that I've recently changed my sleeping schedule.

For the most part, I tend to think of dreaming as sleep's in-flight-movie, and nothing more. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's forgettable, sometimes it's terrible, and sometimes you can't hear the dialogue because the kid behind you keeps singing, over and over, the chorus to "Tiny Dancer," using the wrong lyrics. (Ever awaken from a nightful of earworm? It's a particularly nasty form of nightmare.)

At any rate, even though last night's dream did involve the ever-present 200 lb Trigger Pull and the Hammer Dropping In Slow Motion, Failing To Detonate The Primer (two themes so common in my dreams that I swear my REM is interrupted by my rolling of my eyes at the recurrence, these nights), I still persevered.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At Friday, June 20, 2008 3:26:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

200lb trigger pull? Yikes. Mine's bad enough. It seems to squeeze, I just can't quite get it back far enough.

 
At Saturday, June 21, 2008 3:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My subconscious practically writes things down and presents them to me as a Powerpoint demonstration.

I will say, though, that that kind of change to one of my Standard Issue Anxiety Dreams usually correlates to a sea change in how a stressor is affecting me. Nothing may have changed without, but it usually means I've gotten over something that was giving me the Big Bad Voodoo Head Zap before.

You could well be right about it just being a change in hours, though. I don't have the reference to hand anymore, but I remember reading that circadian rhythyms have a huge influence in what kind of dreams you have when.

 
At Saturday, June 21, 2008 4:26:00 PM, Blogger Rogue Medic said...

I guess I'm lucky. I tend to wake up to bells. If I do get a good night's sleep and wake up with a memory of a dream, I usually forget it soon after. My own version of ignorance is bliss.

The idea of rolling one's eyes during REM sleep is great. :-)

 
At Saturday, June 21, 2008 11:58:00 PM, Blogger none said...

200Lb trigger pull..let me guess
Rossi or Erma ;)

Seriously, dreaming is the brain's method for filing away happenings into long term memory and for chewing on day to day issues.

 
At Sunday, June 22, 2008 12:13:00 PM, Blogger Tam said...

"sometimes you can't hear the dialogue because the kid behind you keeps singing, over and over, the chorus to "Tiny Dancer," using the wrong lyrics."

"Hold me closer, Tony Danza..." :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.