Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Well good morning, class.

I know, I know-- by the time most of you all read this (but for those well west of me), it's Post meridiem, but I just got up, and any time I did so, it's morning. See? The coffee's brewing. What's that you say? "Matt, you brew coffee any old time you feel like it, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, thrice on Sundays." Well, yes, that's technically true. I like coffee. And breakfast. I think that the best part about working deep nights is that I get to have breakfast twice a day-- once when I get up, and once when everyone else thinks it's breakfast time.

My schedule just changed, and I get a couple of evening shifts, from which I get off at 1:00AM. Last night, I was in bed by 3:30AM!! The difference of getting to go to bed in the darkness is astounding. I slept through all four stages of sleep, without an antihistamine to help. I dreamt, vividly.

I woke up feeling quite refreshed, and with my attitude --which was rather surly last night-- reset.

I've got to run to the school to see my daughter win awards for her academic prowess, and such, and I'm actually pretty tickled to do it. We're all in our places, with bright shining faces. This is the way / We start out our day.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At Tuesday, June 03, 2008 9:10:00 PM, Blogger Pignock said...

It's hard to explain to a person who hasn't done it more than a couple of nights in their life, but losing five NIGHTS of sleep every week messes you up way more than two nights off can compensate for. I feel your pain and am looking forward to the big shift to a twelve hour work schedule with only five night shifts every two weeks. Hopefully it will happen for me this fall, unless someone looks favorably on my resume before then.

Keith

 
At Tuesday, June 03, 2008 10:32:00 PM, Blogger Rabbit said...

So, how's that Indonesian coffee?

Regards,
Rabbit.

 
At Wednesday, June 04, 2008 6:18:00 PM, Blogger Rogue Medic said...

I'm glad you are feeling better.

 
At Wednesday, June 04, 2008 9:13:00 PM, Blogger 5150Wife said...

I don't know how y'all do that, messin' with your body clock like that. I'd never survive.

By the way, Matt, I sent you an email.

 
At Wednesday, June 04, 2008 10:00:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And good morning to you, too, my morning began at 1700 myself. A sleep like that sounds great, don't remember the last time I had a good solid one without pharmeceutical intervention. I', thinking a prerequisite to the job is a crappy REM cycle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.