Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Friday, February 16, 2007

Cold Carry.

The nice thing about 20 degrees F is that a good cover garment is always handy and expected. You know what's been a pleasure for me to wear, the last couple of days? A Fobus kydex paddle holster with my stolen-from-Dad war-weary S&W Chief's Special Airweight .38 Special. Worn at 3:30 or 4:00 o'clock on my right hip outside the belt, it's admittedly astonishing at how poorly this rig conceals a little 5-shot J frame.

I put it on for an in-service class on Monday, where the attire was the typical "Cop Office Casual," which is usually a polo shirt tucked into khakis, with badge and gun on belt. I just put on a jacket over it for my blood spatter class, and then wore pretty much the same outfit to my Legal Issues class the next night. Comfy, and better armed than with my standard KelTec P3AT in the DeSantis pocket holster in my pocket. (Arguments that 7 rounds of .380 are better than 5 rounds of .38 Special will not be entertained.)


Truthfully, I could have better concealed my full-sized Kimber 1911 in an IWB holster like the Summer Special than this Chief in this rig. But it wouldn't have been as comfy.

I think about that shooting in Salt Lake City, and wonder how many off-duty officers and CCW licencees decided not to carry weapons under their cover garments on that briskly cold evening, and will regret that feeling of helplessness for the rest of their lives.

When you decide whether or not to go armed, consider that you are making the decision not just for yourself, but for those around you.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At Friday, February 16, 2007 10:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Find myself wearing my S&W 325PD[.45] or 296 [.44 Special] in the winter, as I figure that I might be in a situation where the "critter" is wearing a lot of clothes and I'll have to punch through. And I make allowances [read, damn there's a draft] for getting the gun. In the car is the worst.
Yes, my .38 Airweight is more comfortable in many situations [out at a restaurant, movie, feel free to jump in...]. OldeForce

 
At Friday, February 16, 2007 11:56:00 PM, Blogger Tam said...

It can be hard to get to the 5" 1911 under my coat, hence the S&W 432PD in the pocket of said coat.

 
At Saturday, February 17, 2007 1:14:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just bought myself a new winter coat (yeah, I know- kinda late for that with four snows so far this year). Got the Sig-Tac 3/4 length cc coat. It does hide the P229 just fine. Of course, what I shoud be doing is carrying the P225 in the inner compartment and the P229 in the Comp-Tac. The pockets are deep and secure enough I could stick a Model 36 in one without a problem and counterbalance the P225, but that's just too tactical. I've never had much love for those boat-paddle on a sock paddle holsters.

Regards,
Rabbit.

 
At Sunday, February 18, 2007 12:55:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And as Tam knows, the hammerless and lightweight .44 Special is "very special" and all her fault. Thank you ma'am!
OldeForce

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.