Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Thursday, March 06, 2008

Winter came today.

While moving my mom last week, I nodded toward the blooming fruit trees planted along the road and said, "Poor pear trees-- they're buying into the false spring. They'll pay for that, and dearly."

Mom clucked at me and said, "Those aren't pear trees, and besides, it's been a mild, warm winter. They may make it through with their blooms intact."

In my 30-sumpin' years of growing up in N. Texas, probably half of the Texas snow that I've seen fall fell in the month of March. Sure, it rarely sticks, but March is typically a rainy month in Texas, and when a cold front marches down from the north and collides with wet Gulf air, we get snow. My brother's birthday is on the 23rd, and I've seen it snow plenty after his birthday. Every time this happens, people freak. Out.

It is Texas.

It is not supposed to snow, I suppose, ever.

Folks, it's not that hard to remember two whole years ago, is it?









Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At Friday, March 07, 2008 6:44:00 AM, Blogger FarmGirl said...

Aw heck Matt that's nothin for odd weather! Yesterday when I was at the barn we had some clouds rolling over in patches... I looked outside and sparkling in the sun was a nice snow shower, blowing sideways.

 
At Friday, March 07, 2008 6:45:00 AM, Blogger CrankyProf said...

Yep. We always get one last snowy hurrah in March....and it usually wreaks havoc.

 
At Friday, March 07, 2008 8:30:00 AM, Blogger Gerald said...

Okay, what kind of trees were they?

 
At Friday, March 07, 2008 9:36:00 PM, Blogger Mark said...

How do you think I feel, I'm only about 2.5 hours from Mexico and it SNOWED here for Christmas Day 4 years ago. I moved down here to get AWAY from snow, but it followed me. the kdis loved it though.....

 
At Friday, March 07, 2008 10:34:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

You must live around Corpus or Portland, Mark.

 
At Saturday, March 08, 2008 7:15:00 AM, Blogger phlegmfatale said...

That blanket of snow in your photos looks lovely. I just wish the yahoos who can't drive sensibly in icy weather would stay home.

 
At Saturday, March 08, 2008 8:01:00 AM, Blogger SpeakerTweaker said...

Dat's some purdy nice snows you got there.

My folks sent me some pics from the snow they got in Memphis, TN. I called when I got the email. Mom said those were early pics, and that now it's all covered.

I'm down here in S. Texas where it's just cold, humid, and windy. Blehck.

Oh, well. Enjoy the weather!



tweaker

 
At Saturday, March 08, 2008 8:38:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

We ended up with a lot more than that. We officially got 9 inches, but I think it was more than that. It took me 10 minutes with a broom to get my car cleared off enough to drive it that night.

 
At Saturday, March 08, 2008 8:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All we get is ice in NC...pretty until all of the trees split from the weight, people all decide they need to drive in it, etc. They all think 4wd makes a difference on ice, too. LOL. Your kiddos are gorgeous, BTW. :)

 
At Sunday, March 09, 2008 10:43:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Rillo got a couple inches that were melted by noon. It annoys my kids that by the time they get home from school, the snow has gone to join Frosty the Snowman.

We somehow missed all the nasty weather last week. It seemed to start to the south and east, but Amarillo was mysteriously unscathed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.