Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Sleeping long.

I've always said that that you need more sleep when you work nights and sleep days. I've been adjusting to deep nights for a couple of weeks.

Yesterday morning I ended my night shift, returned home to my empty house*, and called a buddy. He and his wife had some errands planned today, and invited me to come along for lunch in their new car. I went along, and we enjoyed a beautiful sunny spring Saturday with blue skies and a high about 70 degrees. We had some Asian food, and came back to enjoy a beer and conversation on the back porch. Not wanting to wear out my welcome, I started for home.

On the way home, I thought, why not, while in town, stop for a six pack of good beer? The German deli in town offers a fine selection, and I chose Belgian white, and Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA. (They let you mix six packs there.) As I was checking out, a girl before me walked in and ordered a Reuben sandwich before going to pick out a six pack of IPA. (No, Tamara was not visiting. I looked twice.) I stopped. Why hadn't I remembered that they made them there? The cook said he could get me a Reuben out fast. He did.

Good lord. I can't remember the last time I ate a sandwich that good.

After one IPA, I sat down in my bed to check email, at about 19:30 hours. I had been up for about 26 hours. My belly was full. I had a beer in my belly.

Sometime after midnight I woke up and folded the laptop and put it in the floor.

At a little after 09:30 this morning I woke up. 14 hours? Really? I wouldn't have thought it possible.

- - -
*Wife and kids left Friday to visit relatives for Spring Break/Easter.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At Sunday, March 23, 2008 11:06:00 AM, Blogger Old NFO said...

You're gettin old Matt :-) only up 26 hours and had to have 14 hours of sleep??? Actually, it's not that unusual. Much like jet lag, each of us copes with changing circadian rhythms differently. I routinely do Japan and Australia, which are 10-12 hours out of sync, so I stay up until I land, then go to bed at the normal bed time there. I usually wake up 8 hours later at least competent to function. Coming home, I do the same thing. I'm pretty much over the jet lag in one night. Having siad that, as I get older, I do find I need less sleep- I can get by on 6 hours, but I'll take 8 or 10 if I can get it :-)

 
At Sunday, March 23, 2008 11:41:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

It's cumulative, NFO. I've been shortchanging myself for some weeks. Actually, I considered saying yes when my brother mentioned a favorite band was in town.

 
At Sunday, March 23, 2008 12:47:00 PM, Blogger Andrew said...

A really, really good Reuben is a treat indeed.

 
At Sunday, March 23, 2008 1:15:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

I'd never had slices of corned beef that were this thick. It was presented very, very hot, and the meat was still almost too hot by the time I got to eat my to-go sandwich.

 
At Monday, March 24, 2008 5:27:00 AM, Blogger Tam said...

"As I was checking out, a girl before me walked in and ordered a Reuben sandwich before going to pick out a six pack of IPA. (No, Tamara was not visiting. I looked twice.)"

I'm franchising.

RobertaX introduced me to Shapiro's deli up here, which serves a Reuben that is not only as good as any I've ever had, but is also so stuffed with pastrami and kraut and cheese that I couldn't even finish the whole thing. Yum.

 
At Monday, March 24, 2008 6:28:00 AM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Point taken Matt, if you're doing that, then yeah, 14 hours is just a catch up day. :-) Of course the full belly had 'nothing' to do with it...LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.