Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Cheater rifle


The old Stevens model 56 squirrel rifle that I won a turkey (the smallest whole frozen turkey that I’d ever seen!) with last year is the one I popped the golf ball with at 50 yards during yesterday's range session. Not that hitting a 1.25” target at 150 feet is that impressive of a shot (especially from prone), but the part that made me feel good about it was the fact that I had utter confidence that I could do it, even with the wind. Why? Well, it’s certainly not because of the trigger, that’s for sure. But while a good trigger sure makes it easier to shoot well, I find that great sights make it even easier. Dig the wonderful old diopter sights on this rifle:

Note the front sight, with its aperture post. The correct sight picture is to place the target inside the aperture.



Now check out the diopter style rear sight.

See that itty-bitty hole in the middle? That’s the small aperture. The other two holes are the next two sized aperture. The dimple to the right of the small aperture settles into dimples in the disc as the aperture plate is slid up or down to the desired setting. This rear sight is about 30 inches behind the front sight, for serious sight radius.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At Sunday, October 29, 2006 1:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice shooting. And you posted some interesting images of the old Stevens .22. It appears to me that it wears an original Kerr "No-Buckl" sling. These were issued to both US Army and Marines for 1903 Springfields, 1917 Enfields and trench shotguns. A slightly shorter version was military issue for the Thompson Submachine gun.

A rather unusual accessory for a sporting .22 rifle, but surely many such slings must have been sold for surplus . . .

JPG

 
At Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wondering if anybody knows where someone might find a bolt for a model 56. The rifle I have is hardly worth it but the gun has sentimental value even without a bolt.

 
At Wednesday, December 31, 2008 10:03:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing.
I have a Model 56 that has plain iron sights. My Dad showed up with it when I was around 5 or 6 years back in '52 or '53 on the the farm. Probably purchased it at a pawn shop. It was the first firearm my Dad trusted me with to go into the woods with. Many a squirrel wound up on the dinner table. I love the old thing. It is still as accurate as it can be.
After reading I feel blessed to have two five round and two 10 round clips. It is so simple to break down and clean. It would be neat to find out when it was manufactured but I find nothing but STEVENS, J STEVENS ARMS CO., MODEL 56, CHICOPEE FALLS, MASS
22 S, L, LR. I have .22 BB's so as not to disturb the neighbors when I pop a squirrel in the country. I really enjoyed the comments, makes the rife that more important to me.
Wow the memories
RWR

 
At Wednesday, August 27, 2014 3:03:00 PM, Blogger GunsRus said...

To date a Stevens gun you can roughly age it by the subtle changes in the company name. I believe I found it through Wikipedia. I have a 12 gauge single made late 1800's.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.