Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Finding Peace.

I am an atheist. I don't say that much, because of the negative reactions and connotations that seem to come from saying it.  This may be the first time that I've said it public. I think that it is. It's something that I've recently come to grips with.


I don't draw my peace from a higher power. For me, it has to come from within.


You may have noticed that the URL for this blog is MayPeaceBeWithYou [dot] BlogSpot [dot] com.


I composed that address one night after a decent beer or two, when I tried to decide what this web log, or 'blog, was to be about. I thought about writing about my experiences as a peace officer, but realized that most people don't tune into police stories for the "Peace" part of the officer's trade. They want to hear about the drama that accompanies discord.  I knew that I was mostly going to let people down if I promised them such things. If I had a counter on the number of times that I've drawn my gun with real concern that I was going to fire it, it would be in the double digits, and not really threatening the century mark.


When I suit up every day for work, I try to remember what my job is. I am employed to keep the peace.  The best way to do that is to show respect to the people that I come in contact with. And to be honest, I fail, occasionally. That respect thing works in a lot of other areas of life, too, for finding peace. Be it your neighbor, your wife, your daughter, your son, your work partner, your political adversary, or the saber-rattling nation a half-world away-- showing respect is a decent way to keep the peace.


That's hard to do, when we're irritated with someone. But if your goal, (having been established after contemplation in quiet times) is peace, then it is probably when we're irritated with someone that we most owe it to ourselves to display constant respect.



Labels: , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At Thursday, February 19, 2015 7:04:00 PM, Blogger On a Wing and a Whim said...

When it comes to practicing your philosophy, you're doing just fine. While Lawdog may make my sides hurt with laughing, your blog tends to leave me more thoughtful.

My respects to you and yours.

 
At Friday, February 20, 2015 5:54:00 AM, Blogger Gaffer said...

The respect you try to give the people you contact is reflected in the thoughts and comments of the blog.
You have my respect for being the man, husband and father you are.

 
At Sunday, March 01, 2015 8:59:00 AM, Blogger Home on the Range said...

I respect you as what you find peace with is contained within. You don't force it on others, just as it should be. Live with what you can, and reconcile it in the manner that works for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.