Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Thursday, February 12, 2015

Another dog call.

I responded to two reports of a large pit bull acting aggressively. I arrived, and couldn't find it. I was informed that it had run off toward the highway. As I walked around the area, he showed up, and attacked the wheels of the complainant's Jeep. Literally, he bit the tires, snarling. He wheeled and ran at me, barking, ears down.


I drew my duty weapon, and had a few ounces of pressure on the Glock 31's trigger before he finally checked up about 4 feet from me, barking. He wheeled around, and I transitioned to Taser. I really didn't want to shoot the dog.


Taser still in hand, I phoned the animal control officer, and told him that I really needed a response. He was half an hour out. I set to calming the dog down.


My chief and I tossed him sticks, and talked nice to him, and generally wanted him to know that we thought he was great. He wouldn't kennel up in the back of my car, and periodically would get very aggressive again. My chief took my Taser, I kept my ASP out.


We called out the owner. She arrived right after Animal Control showed up. We asked for the dog's shots and registration, something that the owner had been warned about the last time that the dog was found running loose. She informed us that she HAD gotten he dog vaccinated, but that I just wouldn't believe her because it was a pit bull. It's funny-- I have long known that one of my tender spots is to be accused of being a racist. Here, I felt that same anger rise up. I swallowed it. Huh. Apparently my irritation at being called a racist translates into irritation at being called a "breedist." Or something. Good to know.


We got the dog put up. The owner got a ticket. She insisted that the dog was NOT aggressive. I pointed out that it had been to us, and that it had tried very hard to kill a cat in my presence (damn near managed it, too). "That's what dogs do," she said. "They get out, they kill cats, they kill chickens... big deal!" I pointed out that it was a big deal to the owners of the cats and chickens, and to the parents of the children in the area.


The dog had gotten out because she had it tied up in the back yard without a dog house this morning when she went to work, and he slipped his collar.  It was 30 degrees with a 25 mph wind outside this morning. I warned her of the Health And Safety Code: Unlawful Restraint Of Dog.


She shook her head ruefully and told the animal control officer that I just had it in for her and her poor dog.


I have very little enamel left on my teeth.

Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

At Friday, February 13, 2015 3:04:00 AM, Blogger lelnet said...

It's a real shame you almost had to shoot the dog. 30 degrees x 25mph wind and tied up outside with no protection make it almost a bigger shame you weren't allowed to shoot the owner.

Yes, lady...that's what dogs do. HUMANS, though, we hold to a higher standard.

 
At Friday, February 13, 2015 5:41:00 AM, Blogger Gaffer said...

Too bad you can't chain her up in the back yard for the day. And don't forget to leave a pan of water out of reach.

 
At Friday, February 13, 2015 7:20:00 AM, Blogger Todd said...

Someone should liberate that dog. :/

 
At Friday, February 13, 2015 8:16:00 AM, Anonymous Shrimp said...

Some owners just don't get it. There was a piece on the radio the other morning about a dog owner in Croatia being fined because he lets his dog bark all night, to the tune of $3600. Of course, on the social media that the DJ got the story from, people were either supporting the neighbors (who filed the complaint) or the dog owner. The dog owner supporters basically all fell into one category--that's what dogs do. Basically, they're saying that the animal can't help but do it.

As the DJ put it, as the owner, it's your responsibility to see that he doesn't. Just because a dog wants to bark all night, doesn't mean it's okay. Just because the dog wants to defecate in your neighbor's yard, doesn't mean it's okay. If the dog wanted to defecate and urinate in the middle of the kitchen floor, you'd train him out of it, yeah? So, it's no different with this other unacceptable behavior, except that you think you shouldn't have to?

This lady, unfortunately, seems to think that because the dog wants to do those things (chasing animals, etc), she shouldn't have to work to stop him from doing those things. And when (not if) the day comes that the animal attacks a child, a grown adult, or ends up getting killed by a neighbor, she'll blame everyone but herself.

On a side note, I love dogs, but having been bitten once, I think I would have shot the dog when he charged. I know, easy to say from behind the keyboard, being that I wasn't there. You were, and you didn't get bit, so you must have seen something in the dog's behavior that made you decide you didn't need to shoot. Some dogs are all bluster and bark, and others change their minds when the intended victim doesn't act all victim-like and runs or cowers. And some are just plain mean. Sort of like people, I guess.

Does your dept. have body cams/car cams?

 
At Friday, February 13, 2015 8:34:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

Yeah, we do, Shrimp. I watched the vid. It mostly shows my right forearm, because I bladed off, and drew Weaver.

 
At Friday, February 13, 2015 9:30:00 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Glad you didn't have to shoot the dog. Poor animal. He deserves better than his lot in life.

 
At Friday, February 13, 2015 11:53:00 AM, Blogger KCSteve said...

Are you [b]sure[/b] you couldn't have Tased the owner?

Glad you didn't have to shoot the dog.

 
At Saturday, February 14, 2015 6:16:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Glad it was 'resolved' this time... Next time?

 
At Monday, February 16, 2015 8:01:00 AM, Blogger aczarnowski said...

Thanks for doing as much good as possible on that one.

I'm encouraged that ordinance exists. I never would've expected it and need to go check for something similar in my area. Poorly treated animals are one of my personal buttons.

 
At Tuesday, February 17, 2015 8:18:00 AM, Blogger JPG said...

Re: aczarnowski ...
You mention "that ordinance." The link Matt furnished is to a section of the Texas STATE Health and Safety Code, not a municipal or county ordinance. I took time to read the entire text. I'm happy to say that it is directly on point.

Matt - - nice that you had the body cam AND the Chief present for back up. Well handled, Sir.

 
At Sunday, March 01, 2015 1:51:00 PM, Blogger Kristophr said...

Dumb. Self entitled city think.

If someone had caught that dog killing chickens, the dog dies. Period.

The livestock owner cannot be successfully sued, the owner gets a ticket for letting the dog loose, and a bill for the dead or damaged livestock.

End of story.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.