Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Thursday, November 01, 2012

Shooting with the kiddo.

I love it when my 14 year old daughter asks to do ANYTHING with me. So when she asked to go shoot pistol, I was especially happy. After she finished her honors geometry homework, we loaded up some guns, and ran to the range in the waning sunlight.

First I had her shoot her pink Cricket single shot rifle at an old mealy apple from about 10 yards. It went 'splodey. It was fun to watch. And I thought, "Hey, it's been four and a half years since I posted my daughter shooting. Let's post another."

Then we discussed her shooting with the Browning Buckmark. Her first magazine at 5 yards was somewhat unsatisfactory. It was on the second magazine that things made an almost audible click sound, and bullets went into the target. We moved to 7 or 8 yards*.

What you can't see, sadly, is that 5 shots went well under 2" in that 5 shot string. 

Then I had her shoot another mealy apple atop a post:

Then she shot the Kimber 1911 (series 1) .45 (which she really wanted to shoot):


After a cylinder with the S&W M36, she shot the S&W M637:
(I note that her form suffered here, but she was probably trying to get far away from that blast. Those were Plus-P's, out of an Airweight.)

We had a GREAT time. She did well. We will do this more next week.

_______________________________________
*I originally though 7 yards, but I take at least 8 steps to the target, so maybe more; my legs are long.


Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At Friday, November 02, 2012 7:09:00 AM, Blogger JPG said...

Outstanding!
I'm SO proud of her and lil' sis.
AND of their Da'.

 
At Friday, November 02, 2012 10:54:00 AM, Blogger Al T. said...

Perfect! :)

 
At Friday, November 02, 2012 2:10:00 PM, Anonymous KCSteve said...

Two small suggestions:
1) If she's not already doing it, have her double plug - ear muffs over ear plugs. That cuts the noise which cuts the perceived recoil.

2) Potatos. With a .22 you can use the tiny new potatos and you have a choice. Round nose (usually) makes the jump, maybe lose a piece. Hollow points make them go poof. Anything bigger than a .22 and they generally just go poof.

 
At Friday, November 02, 2012 11:05:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your young lady handles that recoil well. It'll soon be time to move her on up to 10mm, 454 Cassull, and .50 AE. We loves us some recoil, very therapeutic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.