Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Because I'm An Old Man, Now....

I stopped a car with a pair of pretty 19 year old girls in it. They were tired, and maybe the passenger (the girl who owned the car) had drunk something, and maybe not. I let it go, because the driver was sober. I scratched out a warning ticket, and gave it to the driver, and asked where they went to school. They both mentioned junior colleges, to get their basics out of the way. I agreed that made sense, instead of what I had done, which was to go to UT for my 101 courses. They thought that was silly. I started to leave, but stopped for a second and said, "Hey girls: take this advice from a man old enough to be your father: Nothing good happens after midnight. NOTHING. Y'all be careful. G'night."

The laughed and drove off. I know that they heard me. I hope that they understood.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At Sunday, July 15, 2012 12:00:00 PM, Blogger Home on the Range said...

Good advice. I hope they took it to heart.

 
At Sunday, July 15, 2012 12:09:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

One hopes they actually listened and THOUGHT about what you said...

 
At Sunday, July 15, 2012 1:29:00 PM, Blogger TBeck said...

Good advice. I put the threshold at 10pm but I don't have to work swing shifts.

 
At Sunday, July 15, 2012 5:58:00 PM, Blogger Eric said...

A friend of mine is trying to convince his soon to be freshman in college daughter that nothing good happens at college on the weekend and that she should just come home on the weekends. This sounds like similar good advice.

I don't think she is buying it though.

 
At Sunday, July 15, 2012 8:04:00 PM, Blogger On a Wing and a Whim said...

You know... you're right. Never really thought about that before, but yeah, you are right.

Of course, now I that I possess another nuggett of common sense to add to the horde, I'm well past the point when I really needed to know that. *facepalm*

 
At Wednesday, July 18, 2012 6:05:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It does in Spain!!
They siesta there...so nothing happens AT ALL until around 10:30 or 11:00

Stupid curfew...stupid Navy making us go back to the stupid boat early...

 
At Sunday, July 29, 2012 5:31:00 PM, Blogger TOTWTYTR said...

They're 19, nothing bad can happen to them. At least that's what they think. I see girls not much, if they even are, older in neighborhoods where they have no business being at times they have no business being out.

They think it's a lark, I can only see the potential danger. I want to grab them and shake some sense into them, but I don't.

I'm just another old white guy, what do I know?

If their parents knew, they'd probably want me to shake some sense into them.

 
At Monday, July 30, 2012 1:16:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

@TOTWTYTR:
And then they'd press charges when you did. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.