Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine.

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Admittedly the best.

I just figured out that I'm a grownup. I'm 40, and have a family which I look around and realize that I'm the head paternal unit of.  I'm more than halfway to my retirement.

Most important, though, is that Christmas doesn't mean that I want anything, anymore. I want to be with my family, and to see the kids open some presents. I want to see them happy, yet not overwhelmed and spoiled.

This morning, my nine year old handed me a cup of coffee and a hand-made Christmas card. On the front was a monochromatic Christmas tree and the words "Merry Christmas! Daddy." On the inside was written:
I can't be your friend, but I can be your daughter-- and I am grateful for just that. Love, [Nine Year-Old].


Huh. Could have sworn she used a Sharpie. Can't figure out why the ink seems to be blurring.

I hope your day is filled with the warmth that is in my heart, right now.

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At Sunday, December 25, 2011 12:39:00 PM, Blogger Suz said...

Takes a helluva dad to raise a daughter like that.

 
At Sunday, December 25, 2011 6:02:00 PM, Blogger Farmmom said...

And it will still be blurry years from now.

Merry Christmas my friend.

 
At Sunday, December 25, 2011 8:59:00 PM, Blogger Christina LMT said...

Merry Christmas! I find that the older I get, the more I enjoy giving gifts rather than receiving them.

 
At Monday, December 26, 2011 6:01:00 AM, Anonymous WROlsen said...

The great moment in your life will come sometime in the future when you realise that your daughter has now become your friend.
It's a wonderful moment in time.

 
At Tuesday, December 27, 2011 9:31:00 AM, Blogger phlegmfatale said...

Lovely story. :) I hope you and your gorgeous family had a grand Christmas, and will have many, many more. :)

 
At Thursday, December 29, 2011 10:40:00 AM, Blogger Old NFO said...

It was and agree with Suz!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.