Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Sunday, November 02, 2008

Act like a grown-up, please.

First: Come Tuesday, it's very likely that Barack Obama will obtain more electoral votes than is necessary to be voted our next President. I don't like that fact. I will do what I can reasonably do to prevent that from occurring. But I have enough respect for scientific polls to believe that we had best prepare ourselves to:

---Get a grip. He's not the candidate I want, but if he is legally voted into office in good faith, there's no sense in whining about it afterward. I was most appalled by the opposition's response when W was elected. Dear Lord, what a passel of whiners. They haven't let up for eight stinkin' years. Don't snivel; it's self-demeaning.

---Come together. This is hard. I know that the guy we've tried (and will continue to keep trying, for the next three days) to keep out of office is hard to get behind, but once he's become our POTUS (perish the thought), we need to show him the respect of the office. Just as important, we need to hope he succeeds in making this country succeed. Think about that for a second. Do you hate B.O. so much, that you want him to fail as President of this nation? Because the ramifications are that our nation fails, too.

Fight the good fight. But in the event of failure, do NOT become someone who turns on his neighbor. This nation sees enough division.

_ _ _ _ _ _

Next, I've noted that a couple of my friends are having some tough, tough times with their marriages. One thing that keeps rearing its head in these deals is how immature parties in the marriages might act. (I'm not going to blame a gender, because that's specious.)

Come to think of it, it's more than just a couple of friends having problems. Not the we're-having-a-spat-and-we've-even-had-to-sleep-in-different-beds-problems, but the Divorce Is Looming kind of problems. And I've noticed some trends:

--You're not in constant bliss? You're not sure that you're In Love with your spouse, anymore? Okay. Work through it. Constant happiness was NOT guaranteed. Let me say that again: You are NOT guaranteed happiness, all the time. Are you compatible? Can you work together? Do you trust and respect each other? Good enough, most of the time.

--Do you want to succeed? This is like my second point on the election issue. If you are willing to throw in the towel rather than work to save the marriage, and perhaps make some concessions along he way, you're acting like a spoiled child.

------------
Yeah, you heard me. I said it.

Grow the hell up, people.

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

At Sunday, November 02, 2008 7:10:00 AM, Blogger Tam said...

Sigh.

And here I was, juvenilely wondering if "Charleton Heston Is STILL My President" bumper stickers would sell...

 
At Sunday, November 02, 2008 7:28:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said!

 
At Sunday, November 02, 2008 10:54:00 AM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Good post Matt, and to the point on a number of fronts! Sadly I agree on Obama, but you are right, we HAVE to get it togethr beind whomever is elected! If we don't we risk the country's security, and many other things if the fighting continues past the election. We CANNOT afford to get bogged down in the rhetoric we have seen for the last 4 years of hate Bush...

 
At Sunday, November 02, 2008 2:24:00 PM, Blogger MauserMedic said...

Matt,

Since I'm in the Armed Forces, I'm legally restrained from completely expressing my opions on Federal elected officials. I'm also bound to follow all legal orders, and respect the office. All of which are right and proper, up to a point.

If we're so unfortunate as to get the distilled essence of FDR in office, I'll neither whine about heading off to Canada, nor go about smashing windows and burning businesses in my neighborhood.

But I can guarantee you, my allegiance was sworn a long time ago to a set of principles, not a man. Especially not one who seems to have quite a problem with the principles I'm sworn to uphold.

I'll play as nice as he and his minions do. Probably quite a bit better actually. And I'll respect the office. The man in it will have a lot growing to do, to have any directed towards him personally.

 
At Sunday, November 02, 2008 9:06:00 PM, Blogger Sabra said...

As usual, Matt, you're right. On all fronts. Thanks for being a voice of reason.

 
At Sunday, November 02, 2008 9:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If a failure means he knows we're the ones that call the shots and not him, why the hell not?

The UK failed to reign us in... The Axis failed to topple us...
The CCCP failed to decimate us...

His failure means he knows we're serious about guns, taxes, and TRUE equality, not superficial ones.

Default respect is not something I believe in. A Marine who serves and then comes back becoming anti-gun, touting his experience as his logic, loses mine.

A President who wants to compromise the founding principles of this country deserves nothing more than used toilet paper.

The First Amendment gurarantees ALL freedom of speech, even the flag burners, the Klansmen, the Panthers, Muslim traditionalists (we house the true radicals; those that do not follow the book to a T).

I live in his hometown. I've seen firsthand the Democratic system at its full power; they're in and will cement themselves in. HE is one of them. Mayor Dick(head) Daley can kiss my ass, Governor Smith (whatever it is), all of them; worthless.

He is nothing more than a new slave driver, and we're giving up our "books" [Constitution]for "Cake" [utter bull]

A man can only tolerate so much..

God help my family come Wednesday...

 
At Monday, November 03, 2008 8:51:00 AM, Blogger KD5NRH said...

Would you prefer that the duly elected leader of Germany a few decades ago have succeded? People committed quite a number of atrocities in the name of showing the respect due his office.

 
At Monday, November 03, 2008 11:39:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

"Would you prefer that the duly elected leader of Germany a few decades ago have succeded? People committed quite a number of atrocities in the name of showing the respect due his office."

Good question.

Nope. I wouldn't. But as you just pointed out-- those were atrocities. They were crimes. In fact, a fair little number of those who led others in those criminal acts were tried, convicted, and either housed or executed. I don't hold with backing a leader blindly as he goes on to make the commission of atrocities his mission.

But harken back to January of 2001, when outgoing staffers popped the W's off of the keyboards of all the White House computers. Infantile. They hadn't seen their beloved Clinton's successor even take office, and they were casting vitriol before he could even act. Foolish.

I will NOT be part of a rabble that whines for the sake of whining. If and when the loyal opposition is elected, I would rather be wrong and have him be effective and successful in leading this nation than be right, and have him fail, and fail all all of us.

 
At Monday, November 03, 2008 12:34:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

"And I'll respect the office. The man in it will have a lot growing to do, to have any directed towards him personally."

That's all I ask, MM.

 
At Tuesday, November 04, 2008 9:10:00 AM, Blogger charlotte g said...

This was excellent, Matt. I've been commenting aloud to folks around me much the same, though, I think, without your clarity here. I've cleared my schedule and will be up till all hours tonight listening to results from all over. It's election day! And time to celebrate the right to vote freely.

 
At Saturday, November 08, 2008 6:19:00 AM, Blogger Tommy Paine IX said...

I'm with Mauser Medic on this one. So far as trouble goes, they don't start none, there won't be none. I do intend to see the Congressional majority flipped back our direction in 2010 and to limit the damage that the triumvirate of Obama, Reid, & Pelosi can do in the meantime by making the Blue Dogs earn their description as "Conservative Democrats". Then on to 2012 and Palin/Jindal or some other Conservative presidential ticket.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.