Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

From the mouths of babes. (Political dance remix.)

Yesterday I picked up my 6 year old early from after-school daycare, and we ran errands about town. We went into the county seat and I walked her into a county administration building. She asked me about the forest of yard signs hammered into the grass median in the street out front, safely greater than 50 feet from the front door.

"Why are all those signs here?" she asked.

"Foolish optimism," I responded.

"What's that?" she asked.

"It means that someone thinks that they can get me to vote for their candidate by putting up a little pasteboard sign immediately in front of the polling place," I said.

"What's a polling place?" She asked.

"This is," I answered as we walked inside. "It's where people go to vote."

"So we're going to vote?" she asked, unhappily eyeing the line that we were joining.

"I am. You're too young, and will be for 11 and a half years, yet," I said.

"Are you going to vote for Barack Obama?" she asked.

"We don't talk about that right here," I answered. "This is not the place."

She started to ask me why, but caught my stern look, and closed her mouth again. I took her in, brandished my voter registration card, signed the Early Voter roll, and chose to vote via electronic ballot. (We could choose paper or electronic voting, with most voters choosing paper.)

As we passed the sign forest again on our return to the car, I explained to my daughter that I had not voted for Obama, but had cast a vote for John McCain. (I figured that I would discuss the concept of "Lesser of two evils" to her some other time.) She asked me why, and I explained why. She chewed on that for awhile, as we got into the car and buckled up. As we were entering traffic, she asked me: "If you're voting for that other guy, how come I've never heard of him like I've heard of Barack Obama? I see him on the news and other shows on TV. I never heard of that other guy."

"That's a good question, kiddo," I said.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

At Wednesday, October 29, 2008 2:13:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

yep outta the mouthes of babes... Somehow kids always seem to break it down to the simplest parts.

 
At Wednesday, October 29, 2008 3:33:00 PM, Blogger Tam said...

The fix is in, my brotha. Even a child can tell. :(

 
At Wednesday, October 29, 2008 7:55:00 PM, Blogger Easily Lost said...

Kids ask a lot of questions, until they hit about 16, then they know everything. Enjoy it now

 
At Wednesday, October 29, 2008 8:40:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

"And a child shall lead them"

Even the youngest among us can see the complete and utter horse-cockey that is the MSM.

 
At Thursday, October 30, 2008 6:03:00 AM, Blogger HollyB said...

Beauty AND Brains! Must be my influence.

 
At Thursday, October 30, 2008 1:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent post. I think I'll take The Newt with me to vote. Great idea.

 
At Thursday, October 30, 2008 1:46:00 PM, Blogger Crucis said...

Yes, it is a very good question. Unless you watch Fox, you'd never know McCain was running. Now, Palin, on the other hand would be demonized with every other statment--between the Ouhhings and gushings from the media about BO.

At least the AP showed some spunk about the 30 minute Obama orgy last night. Wonder who got fired over that.

 
At Friday, October 31, 2008 8:30:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eldest is distressed that the in-school TV Channel that they have to watch (Channel One) has a mock election and 2/3 of the states are going Obama. I explained that the folks voting are largely unionized "educators" and their students, who think their teacher is the smartest person in the whole world. When I asked her if she thought any of her fellow students who backed Obama could explain why, she said she had already asked (you could probably read fine print inside my stomach in the glow of inner parent-pride at that point!) . The answers were usually "I don't know." or "my parents and teachers like Obama"..... no original thought involved...... She makes me proud, she does.

 
At Friday, October 31, 2008 4:55:00 PM, Blogger phlegmfatale said...

I voted via electronic ballot too. I have a feeling BO's name has been bandied about quite a bit in schools this season a vast deal more often than McCain's has.

 
At Saturday, November 01, 2008 6:15:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I refuse to acknowledge that the fix is in. The MSM wants us demoralized, and wants us to figure there is no point in voting.

I'm working the damn polls on Tuesday. I'm calling and pounding pavement.

I. Am. NOT. Giving up.

If, perchance O wins,, I'll give him the exact same respect, honor, deference and leeway as the Left has given Bush for the last eight years.

 
At Friday, November 07, 2008 11:16:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad a 6 year old isn't old enough to catch SNL. Wasn't the (R) ticket on there not once, but twice before the election? Including 3 days before the actual election?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.