Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Thursday, September 04, 2008

I can't really argue with that.

My mother is returning to her childhood home in Alamogordo, NM to see a dear old friend interred. When she told me this, I said I'd help her find the cheapest tickets and rental car. She protested that it was way too much trouble, and too expensive. What with gas prices going up the way they have been, I suspected that it would be a wash between the cost of driving and flying there economy class. It turned out that it would cost a bit more to fly and get a rental. Still I persisted in suggesting that she follow my plan, which entailed flying to El Paso, and taking the rental car the 85 miles to Alamogordo.

"No!" She said. "Thanks for checking on the cost of things, but it's all just too much trouble, what with checking my pistol in and out at the airport and everything. If you think this little old lady's traveling unarmed, you've got another thing comig. And if it's all the same to you, I happen to prefer to drive through the mountains around
Cloudcroft in September."

Well. Of course.

I stand corrected, and a bit abashed. Heh.

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

At Thursday, September 04, 2008 9:42:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

hehehe- Been there, got slapped down too :-) My mother was 73, got three friends, jumped in the van and drove all over the US for about two months seeing friends (oh yeah, they were ALL packing).

 
At Friday, September 05, 2008 9:19:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your mother is great! She refuses to travel unarmed, checking her pistol is too much hassle, and she prefers the scenery. That is so ... me!

Our last few family vacations, no one outside of my immediate family could understand why I would rather drive than fly. As gas prices rose (and with it, airfare) most people eventually could understand that driving a family of five across the US ended up costing a lot less than flying and renting a car. Almost nobody could comprehend that I just prefer it, and for pretty much the same reasons your mother gave.

 
At Friday, September 05, 2008 9:38:00 AM, Blogger none said...

That is exactly why my family and I drive everwhere. With 5 of us, airline tickets and the hassles involved plus rental car costs several times more than driving.

Being disarmed and dealing with the Tee Ess Ayyy are much more than my stomach can handle.

 
At Friday, September 05, 2008 2:09:00 PM, Blogger Ted said...

The thought of a well-armed "little old lady" touring the country just warms my heart for some reason. I keep imagining "Red Dawn" meets "The Golden Girls".

 
At Friday, September 05, 2008 9:02:00 PM, Blogger KD5NRH said...

The airlines won't stop so I can get out and take a closer look at something neat along the way. That, IMO, is enough reason to drive.

 
At Saturday, September 06, 2008 9:50:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

KD5NRH:
Yeah, and sometimes they won't even let you look at the stuff you should be able to see out of the windows.

 
At Sunday, September 07, 2008 6:45:00 AM, Blogger Carteach said...

My mother favored an umbrella.... that had been sharpened to needle like spike on the end.

She was a sneaky old broad, and didn't mind getting in close.

Thanks for bringing back that memory.

 
At Sunday, September 07, 2008 9:15:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

When I next fly, I'll be able to open carry onto the plane.

Guess that means I won't be flying.

 
At Sunday, September 07, 2008 7:14:00 PM, Blogger phlegmfatale said...

ah bless her.
I'd do the same, though-- I love that drive any time of year.

 
At Friday, September 12, 2008 5:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL - the only time I fly is to go see my son (the Marine) - Three days there and three days back driving time doesn't leave much time left in a week long vacation.

But when I'm retired, I can SO see being like your mom. I HATE, hate hate being unarmed during the airport and flight part. I'd rather be naked in public than unarmed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.