Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Pity the irony.

That I should discover Melbourn Bros. Spontaneous Fermentation Cherry beer of the Lambic style, only because my local purveyor of fine beers is putting it on close-out because the distributor is no longer carrying it in this region.

The sour cherry flavor is phenomenal. I put it against Lindeman's Kriek lambic, any day, for 1/4 the price or less. Brewed in Lincolnshire, England, the Melbourn Bros. beer can't properly call it a "lambic" any more than the better California sparkling white wines could call themselves a Champaigne-- it wasn't brewed from the spontaneous wild yeasts and bacterias [!] blowing in the windows of the breweries around Belgium.

It has 6 ingredients: Water, Barley Malt, Wheat, Hops, Yeast, and Cherries.

I've tried the stawberry, and it's fit to drink, too.

Even the bottles are worthwhile-- extra heavy-duty and with a hard shoulder in the old style, to pour the unfiltered beer into a glass in one pour, leaving the dap of yeast and cherry sediment in the bottom of the bottle and giving you a clear glass of red goodness.

I may have to find me a source. Maybe the same one that will finally bring me a bottle of Stone's Ruination.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At Thursday, February 07, 2008 1:29:00 AM, Blogger phlegmfatale said...

When I first arrived in Europe on the first trip there, my local friends took me to a pub on the Grande Place in Brussels and I had a Kriek Cherry there. Glorious. There's something about being close to the source. And anywhere you have that kind of beer, there's something that tickles my knees about the tartness of a good lambic. Will check out the label you mention - sounds great!

 
At Thursday, February 07, 2008 6:54:00 AM, Blogger breda said...

If you like the fruit flavors of lambics, you might also like Unibroue's Éphémère - it's a lovely green apple ale.

 
At Thursday, February 07, 2008 7:51:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt, that sounds really good. I may pop down to Spec's, here in Houston, and see if they have either of these. If I find they have Melbourn Bros., I will let you know. Your choice then to come to Sodom on the Bayou or not.

 
At Saturday, February 09, 2008 10:21:00 AM, Blogger J.R.Shirley said...

Mmmm...Lambic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.