Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Monday, February 18, 2008

Oy!

In my Advanced Criminological Theory class tonight, the topic of the lecture was Environmental Theories, such as Regular Activity Theory, which basically says what you already knew: that if you participate in risky activities, in risky places, at risky times, you're more likely to become a victim.

"I'm beginning to wonder, with all the school shootings, if I really did pick such a safe, mundane field for regular activity," quipped my rather funny, generally empowered, fast-talking young mother of a professor.

"But remember: grad students had better not be coming in packing! You like this class, remember?" she said, and chuckled.

I waited a second before quick-glancing the room. I spotted two other guys wearing cover garments that were a little too warm for the packed classroom. One of them I know works full time for a larger P.D. I don't know where the other guy works. Neither one of them were, in my estimation, carrying the last time we met for class, two weeks ago.

Ah, well. What she doesn't know, won't hurt her.

Like car seats, we are so strapped!

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

At Monday, February 18, 2008 11:13:00 PM, Blogger Rabbit said...

I'll take 'Mexican Standoff' for $300, Alex.

Regards,
Rabbit.

 
At Tuesday, February 19, 2008 1:06:00 AM, Blogger MathewK said...

Was directed to your site by a commenter at one of ours, nice writing there. And good on you for packing, only the fools think that disarming themselves will make themselves safer from those that did not.

 
At Tuesday, February 19, 2008 5:36:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well dont tell her you write a blog or what its called and she wont find out.

 
At Tuesday, February 19, 2008 12:24:00 PM, Blogger J.R.Shirley said...

"But remember: grad students had better not be coming in packing! You like this class, remember?" she said, and chuckled.

How that for a non sequitur?

 
At Tuesday, February 19, 2008 12:42:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

I think what she meant, john, was that it's a felony for non-cops to carry in the classrooms, and that we wouldn't want to do anything to get ourselves kicked out of school, and consequently her class.

I think.

I don't know where she stands on 2nd amendment issues, though she does take her kid to karate lessons.

 
At Tuesday, February 19, 2008 12:42:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

...which she attends, herself, as well.

 
At Tuesday, February 19, 2008 5:42:00 PM, Blogger phlegmfatale said...

Needs must.

 
At Tuesday, February 19, 2008 7:38:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

/grumble At least you have the option Matt, and I'm glad you are carrying! Hopefully you will never have to use it, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!
\grumble

 
At Tuesday, February 19, 2008 11:37:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

NFO, I personally feel a strong moral obligation and duty to carry. Given the situation as it is, I think that I would be negligent in my duties if I did not carry.

 
At Wednesday, February 20, 2008 12:38:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, if it's concealed she won't know it's there to begin with, right? It's like American Express baby.......

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.