Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

A boring night's work.

Yesterday, the Deluge Of Aught Seven continued, and I worked a couple of wrecks, getting soaked in the process. My boots swamped early on in my 10-hour shift, so I got to spend at least 12 hours in wet socks. The rain defeated my work cell phone, requiring me later to spend an hour at the phone shop. Other than a fireworks call at the end of my shift, I had only a barking dog call.

But Dad braved the heavy rain to come out.

We had lunch, and drove around, chatting. Since returning to patrol, I'd not had any riders with me, but I decided that it was time, and anyway, Dad is no ordinary ride-along. My LT had made it clear that Dad could and should ride out whenever he had the inclination. With a Commander in his shoulder rig and a star on his belt under his jacket, the old fart frankly increases my chances significantly, should Bad Things Happen ( tm ). But they didn't, as they generally don't.

What a pleasure.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At Wednesday, June 27, 2007 6:40:00 AM, Blogger phlegmfatale said...

No one ever has your back like your own dad. What strength and fearlessness I have in life derives from having a strong, unconflicted father. You have a fantastic father, too, and it's cool that y'all got to spend time together.

 
At Wednesday, June 27, 2007 7:49:00 AM, Blogger Murphy said...

Exciting can be over-rated and boring is often under-rated.

 
At Wednesday, June 27, 2007 1:05:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whenever I'm talking to LEO's, EMT's, etc. I always wish them a "professionaly boring" time.

Never met one yet that didn't appreciate it.

 
At Wednesday, June 27, 2007 1:59:00 PM, Blogger Sabra said...

We're getting pretty swampy down here too. My husband was working outside most of Monday, & got so wet that yesterday morning the $20 he pulled out of the inner pocket of his wallet was still damp. (He's still waiting on his boots to dry out, last I checked.)

Do y'all have a problem with dingbats driving around low water crossing barricades like we do here? I've been meaning to ask you about that.

 
At Wednesday, June 27, 2007 10:42:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

Pretty-pretty, I've actually been meaning to post a little rant about that...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.