Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Things that have made my heart skip a beat:

I almost called this "the first time," but there's more to it then that. I was feeling pretty good on the way into work last night, and composed this with some joy in my heart, for no particular reason.

Things that have made my heart skip a beat:

As a child, thinking that the next day was my birthday.
As a child, puppies and kittens and baby critters. Being offered to see a monkey.
Waking up on the first day of school.
Riding my bike off the ramp we made over Tonka trucks.
Diving from the high dive. Okay-- jumping.
Christmas morn.
Going to Six Flags as a child.
My first bicycle.
My first 10-speed.
My first ride on a 2-stroke dirt motorcycle.
My first airplane ride.
My first airplane ride in a light plane. (And most since.)
Mountains.
Tremendous heights.
My first kiss from a girl not a relative.
My first romantic kiss from any lady thereafter.
The first time I told a girl I loved her.
The first time a girl said it to me.
The dentist office waiting room-- entering, and returning from within.
Mail for me, as a kid.
Mail for me from a friend, all my life.
Compliments from someone I admire.
Heavy weather.
The smell of good cooking.
The smell of rain on the wind in the summertime.
My first time driving.
My first time driving alone.
Sneaking out, as a kid --even if for innocent reasons.
Near misses.
Being hired.
Being told to come into an office and sit down. (And shut the door.)
Going hunting with Dad as a kid.
Getting to carry a shotgun the first time while hunting, as a kid.
Shooting at game.
Being sworn in.
Finding out we were going to have a baby.
Asking my wife to marry me.
Making my first arrest.
Hearing the dispatcher rattle off the ten-code that the subject I was out with was wanted, had criminal history, and had an assaultive history.
Waking up after having overslept.
Drawing down on a human being.
Having a door that I supposed was locked open suddenly.
Blowouts.
Daughters' screams.
Cries for help.
Falls, expected and otherwise.
Fresh coffee.
Being hit upon by any person.
Being challenged to a fight by any person.
Being accused.
Chewing on foil accidentally.
Gunfire where I thought there would be none.
Unexpected nudity.
Loss of traction.

Add 'em all up with the others I've not listed, and I'm probably owed a day back, somewhere along the line.

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At Sunday, April 29, 2007 9:10:00 AM, Blogger charlotte g said...

Excelleny list. Woodsworth said, "My heart leaps up when I behold a rainbow in the sky", so I would include the unexpected beauties we come upon. But then, most of your list was something about that.

 
At Sunday, April 29, 2007 9:21:00 AM, Blogger Ambulance Driver said...

Excellent list, indeed. Thanks for that, Matt. I needed to be reminded of some of those things today.

 
At Sunday, April 29, 2007 2:20:00 PM, Blogger SpeakerTweaker said...

Funny how "fresh coffee" fits in there after stuff like "we're having a baby," but before stuff like "gunfire when I thought there'd be none."

On a personal note, I'd toss in "the sound of 'DADDYYYYYYYY!!!!' when I get home from work. Absolute showstopper, right there.

Good stuff, Matt.



tweaker

 
At Sunday, April 29, 2007 11:32:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

Funny, but the happy Daddy cry doesn't make my heart skip a beat-- it just makes it melt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.