Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The shootings

It's terrible. My best friend woke me this evening with the news, which I had missed before going to bed for the day.

Scott and I speculated on this question: Did anyone fight back?!?

If not, why, in this post- 9/11/2001 American society, are we not teaching our youth to fight back? Did we learn nothing from those on United Flight 93? From Jake Ryker's subduing the shooter in Springfield Oregon? From Joel Myrick stopping the mayhem in Pearl, Mississippi? Does no one remember how shoe bomber Richard Reid was stopped from committing his own suicide attack by unarmed citizens?

I have no problem with those who ran, jumped out a window, or locked themselves away. Regular readers here will recall that I'm a big proponent of running away from an attack, if you can, and if you're not charged with the duty to stop it. Trust me, I'm not saying that a suicide charge needs to be mounted every time a disturbed individual gets a little gunhappy. I'm saying that, when you find yourself in a corner, and there's no way out, you have to say to yourself, "I ain't goin' like that." Maybe you don't have the means or the freedom to carry a firearm. Maybe you've utterly blown it, and you've got nothing at all beyond the body and the clothing that God and J.C. Penny gave you. Are you going to die, shot while cowering, with your death meaning nothing? Which way will you fall?

If the balloon goes up, and my ticket is punched, please, God, let me fall toward my attacker.

And let me get a lick in.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, April 17, 2007 7:04:00 AM, Blogger J.R.Shirley said...

I plan to die peacefully in my bed, many years from now.

But, if I must die violently, let me die on my feet.

 
At Tuesday, April 17, 2007 4:19:00 PM, Blogger Ambulance Driver said...

Amen.

If the time comes for me to die, I plan to skid into the afterlife with some of my killer's blood and flesh under my fingernails.

He WON'T catch me begging for him to spare my life. He'll have to take it to preserve his own.

 
At Wednesday, April 18, 2007 1:52:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Fight like a man, so you do not have to die like a dog." - Annie Bonnie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.